For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
My name is Rob and I'm a panic buyer.

For a couple of years I have hardly travelled anywhere. Next week I have to be in E Sussex and all the other panic buyers are emptying the tanks. Luckily the panic in our village is modest and the garage has only run out of diesel. How can you tell we are in the countryside?

So I have 350 miles of 95 octane for a 280 mile round trip. Guess who will be feather-footed on the accelerator for once. Range anxiety comes to ICE owners.

Why this week?

Rob P
Dodo liked this
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You mean you didn't fill up some jerrycans while you were there? (It's not a real panic until queues form with people pushing their cars along to save fuel…)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By johnm
We filled up routinely this week and one vehicle is doing a round trip to London tomorrow. The other may go to a nearby airfield and to a garden machinery shop :-)
By tr7v8
Manic in North Kent; Maidstone & Chatham. Local school entrance is near a filling station & they park both side to pick up their little cherubs, so complete carnage. The thirsty one (Porsche Cayenne) is at the menders at the mo funnily enough with a fuel problem. And won't be back for a few days.
The two MX5s are our transport at the mo & they A. have a reasonable amount of fuel in & B. don't need to go anywhere until next Wednesday.
By Flyin'Dutch'
tr7v8 wrote: The thirsty one (Porsche Cayenne) is at the menders at the mo funnily enough with a fuel problem. And won't be back for a few days.

Did a home visit to a patient whose son in law has a gen. 1 GTS; didn't enquire what the fuel consumption is on one of those. I complained when my S only did 21 mpg; Porsche dealership enquired if I ever touched the accellerator!

:shock:
Rob P wrote:So I have 350 miles of 95 octane for a 280 mile round trip. Guess who will be feather-footed on the accelerator for once. Range anxiety comes to ICE owners.

Dear Mr Panic Buyer,

I consider you fortunate and ask you to spare a thought for those of us with a journey longer than the tank capacity. I have had to break a golden rule this pm and queue to fill the tank. I now have 470 miles of diesel for a 620 mile journey tomorrow.

Yours,

Seriously Worried :lol:

Rob P wrote:Why this week?

Hopefully it is only this week as I have both directions of the 620 mile journey in 3 weeks time. :pale:
rikur_ wrote:I need a can of petrol for the lawn mower, but don't want to look like I'm a panic buyer .... so I think I'll leave the lawn this weekend

A bit of hose and a damn good suck.
(or mow the lawn. You choose :oops: )
By skydriller
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
tr7v8 wrote: The thirsty one (Porsche Cayenne) is at the menders at the mo funnily enough with a fuel problem. And won't be back for a few days.

Did a home visit to a patient whose son in law has a gen. 1 GTS; didn't enquire what the fuel consumption is on one of those. I complained when my S only did 21 mpg; Porsche dealership enquired if I ever touched the accellerator!

:shock:

I recall being told that the measure of if you are "driving your 911 properly" is the number of miles you get out of a set of boots... :mrgreen:

Regards, SD..
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Jodelman
tr7v8 wrote:Manic in North Kent; Maidstone & Chatham.

I filled the car up yesterday at the Shell garage on Bluebell Hill (between the M20 and M2) and saw no signs of panic. May be different today but I hope not tomorrow as I will be filling up three jerry cans to put in the aeroplane!