For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
eltonioni wrote:hypothecate the temporary tax for driver training and modern roadside facilities for HGVs and their drivers. Maybe pop up portacabin facilities in the meantime? Make the job more attractive again.

Or hypothecate the bbc tax and use that for something useful rather than fear-mongering and anti-government propaganda. Win-win.
Flyingfemme, Nick liked this
Well, wish me luck..........I need to go and deal with some ageing parent issues. Using the most fuel efficient vehicle in the stable, I cannot tanker enough to get me there and back. I may be gone some time.
TravellerBob liked this
By Nick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyingfemme wrote:Well, wish me luck..........I need to go and deal with some ageing parent issues. Using the most fuel efficient vehicle in the stable, I cannot tanker enough to get me there and back. I may be gone some time.

Good luck. Get your leathers on and enjoy the ride.

Nick
I’m just back from a visit to our butcher in town - no queues or panic buying here. I thought it would deter the motorhome convoys, but apparently not.
By Flyingfemme
Nick wrote:
Flyingfemme wrote:Well, wish me luck..........I need to go and deal with some ageing parent issues. Using the most fuel efficient vehicle in the stable, I cannot tanker enough to get me there and back. I may be gone some time.

Good luck. Get your leathers on and enjoy the ride.

Nick

None of the bikes are as eco as the MiLs Toyota Yaris..............And the tanks are so small I couldn't even get there on one tankfull. Oh - the shame :roll:
Asda had fuel this morning (limit £30) so I now have enough to get me there and I'll worry about getting back once I have done what I went for.
By Pete L

Had to take a neighbour out in the hybrid to get some cans of diesel for same reason. Hope you found some on the motorway.
TravellerBob wrote:By now all the panic morons must have filled-up so supplies should be back to normal for normal people.

Good luck.

Ah but, the Beeb had a psychologist on this morning pointing out that this isn't/hasn't been 'panic buying' but a rational precautionary measure based on experience of British behaviour in such circumstances, especially when the original influencing factor was misreported and hyped up by the BBC and others.

I wasn't panicking, I was just acting rationally before the panickers arrived.

:thumleft:
TravellerBob liked this
I fail to see how the government can be blamed for simply telling the truth. There is no shortage of fuel; there was a very insignificant supply issue for one brand that was seized on by the media and the moronic sheep amongst us immediately went into panic mode and created a crisis where one hadn't actually existed. In essence it is no different from the panic buying of toilet rolls at the start of the pandemic when some idiots were seen buying a year's supply after disgraceful social media rumours, creating shortages that otherwise wouldn't have been a problem. Had the government said nothing about petrol stocks it would have been rightly criticised.

Sadly it doesn't reflect well on the British public but there is no cure for stupidity and selfishness. Or at least one that would be acceptable in today's feeble society. :wink:

I tend on balance to agree that there are those who are deliberately hyping up minor problems because they think it will advance their agenda. I doubt that in the long run it will.

PW
Colonel Panic, JAFO, kanga and 1 others liked this
Propwash wrote:I tend on balance to agree that there are those who are deliberately hyping up minor problems because they think it will advance their agenda. I doubt that in the long run it will.

PW

Two of them post here!! :roll:

Agree the effect is nil, long and short term.
Sooty25 liked this
By Keveng
TravellerBob wrote:
Propwash wrote:I tend on balance to agree that there are those who are deliberately hyping up minor problems because they think it will advance their agenda. I doubt that in the long run it will.

PW

Two of them post here!! :roll:

Agree the effect is nil, long and short term.

That would be you and who else ? :twisted:
TravellerBob, johnm, JAFO and 1 others liked this
By Pete L
There is something changing in society. Last year's flu jab, I wandered up at the appointed time and there were about 5 people in the queue - normal variation. This year the queue was about 100 - everyone had come at the session start time. I think there is a fear of everything running out.