For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By seanxair
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Colonel Panic wrote:
Rob P wrote:No EV should be cold and iced in the morning.

The slight issue with this for me is that pre-heating power comes from the wall (at Day Rates, as my night rate ends at 04:30), and I can't set it to come from the internal battery. I would be happy with the latter - I am almost never range-limited, but I am too tight to want to use Day rate for warming the car.

Mine not plugged in at present. Just sent it a message via the app to start climate control which it has.
By riverrock
But if it was plugged in, it would take power from the mains, unless there was a remote control for the charging point too.

Me - I just warm it up.
HVAC on my car uses about 1.5kW (unless its very cold and the resistive heater kicks in) - so a 15min pre-heat will use about 1/3 unit 'leccy so for me, in the morning, it will cost me about 4.7pence.
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Colonel Panic wrote:No, but it would play havoc with my consumption stats :oops:

Do you not ever wonder if you might be getting just a little overly obsessive about the 'stats'? From the outside, not preheating your car because it has an effect on your spreadsheet looks a little weird, if not verging on unhealthy.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch', townleyc liked this
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:@PeteSpencer doesn't care. He's in a spending phase.

Have you actually costed what 10 minutes preheating would cost?

Or considered getting up earlier? The supermarkets are really quiet at 4:15 am

Rob P

TBH I’m staggered at my conversion: not exactly Damascene, but in the last two years I’ve gone from ‘I wouldn’t touch EV with a barge pole’, through ‘weeell, a hybrid would be a nice range-anxiety safe compromise ‘ to ‘ I want an EV’.

Sadly the S family millions are slightly tied up with another big project atm but give it a year or so and another policy maturation and we’ll see .

I think my conversion is largely due to a ride in a couple of Priuses followed by a Tesla 3 revelation drive.

Coupled with frank, lively and informative discussion on here by people whose opinions I (mostly) respect.

So I’ve decided on the four figure MOT spend on the krauto to eke it out for another 2- 3 years since I do no mileage, it’s a comfortable car to drive ,I love it and for the cheapest hassle free way for the next few years.

Just need to get a Bluetooth plug in and my cup will truly run over (recommendations, please :wink: )

( I allus keep cars for ever- the trusty Volvo had £3k MOT work spent on it age12 against all advice and went on for another 6 years with me before I gave it to s-I-l who had it for another 3 : He then sold it to a collector/enthusiast for restoration ! :roll: )

Peter
Colonel Panic, Rob P, johnm liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:Just need to get a Bluetooth plug in and my cup will truly run over (recommendations, please :wink: )

I purchased a UGreen Bluetooth Receiver Audio Adapter from Amazon (where else? :lol: ) last year. It works really well, didn't cost too much and I don't know why I haven't had one before. Great for streaming my own music from the iPhone through the car speakers, hands free telephone calls etc. Takes 2 hrs to fully charge and then lasts for about 10 hrs playing music.

PW
PeteSpencer liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Colonel Panic wrote:Guilty as charged!

Or as directly connected to the mains.

Anyway. Here's a thought. Given that some of these cars have "drive forward out of a parking spot on their own" mode, what about setting something up so that if it's sunny, the car opens the garage door and drives itself out to sit in the sun? :D
By Rob P
@PeteSpencer

I think your decision is exactly the one I would have made in your situation.

Rob P
Colonel Panic wrote:
Rob P wrote:No EV should be cold and iced in the morning.

The slight issue with this for me is that pre-heating power comes from the wall (at Day Rates, as my night rate ends at 04:30), and I can't set it to come from the internal battery. I would be happy with the latter - I am almost never range-limited, but I am too tight to want to use Day rate for warming the car.

My ID3 doesn't pre heat directly from the mains, but uses the battery even if plugged in and charging . However in the cold I charge to 90% off peak, my charger then switches off. and use the battery to heat the car with my 5p per kWh lecky.
It nice to pre cool the car too, for the trip home from work in the summer

The peak rate will be double to 29p at the end of my contract with Octopus but the off peak remains the same at 5p

@Pete spencer
The location of the charge socket is not standard on EVs. (but the socket it self is now standard). Some are at the front centre, some off-set left or right centre, others are on the rear wing on left or right. :roll:

Mine is R rear, and I have to back up to public chargers, and the reversing camera is helpful. The front centre position offers the best option in those locations, but I guess may be a problem in a domestic garage depending on space between the car and back wall. You cannot drive the car plugged in.
I park outdoors in front of the house (so the charger was chosen for its looks), and I usually backed in anyway for the getaway next day and the charger is mounted behind the car. The 5m lead will just reach if I go in forwards.
A warm defrosted car on a winter morning is great! (I had it with the Evoque but this required the engine to start and run, not possible in a public space, and could annoy neighbours. In an EV it is almost silent and also legal in public as the motor is not running)
By PeteSpencer
Propwash wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Just need to get a Bluetooth plug in and my cup will truly run over (recommendations, please :wink: )

I purchased a UGreen Bluetooth Receiver Audio Adapter from Amazon (where else? :lol: ) last year. It works really well, didn't cost too much and I don't know why I haven't had one before. Great for streaming my own music from the iPhone through the car speakers, hands free telephone calls etc. Takes 2 hrs to fully charge and then lasts for about 10 hrs playing music.

PW

Tx:
Similar gadget ordered from Amazon: Tons to choose from but none with a brand name I recognised: But pretty cheap.
Also ordered cheapo phone mount to air grille.
By johnm
I was pleasantly surprised to find that a 2010 Subaru had blue tooth, 2007 SLK has a plug and socket for a phone long obsolete.
johnm wrote:I was pleasantly surprised to find that a 2010 Subaru had blue tooth, 2007 SLK has a plug and socket for a phone long obsolete.

There is an adapter for that SLK to make it Bluetooth, I had one on mine that worked well. Can’t remember what it was called, look on Amazon or E-bay
johnm, Colonel Panic liked this