For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
A different solution would be a minimum spend, I suspect a lot of people are queuing up because they've nothing better to do! Minimum of 30l, if you can't fit 30l in you still pay for 30.....
Funnily enough there are now reports of some Tesla owners topping up at Superchargers!
Rob P, T67M liked this
stevelup wrote:
Paultheparaglider wrote:I think the media were the "useful idiots" that facilitated the plan. The forum rules on politics preclude giving my own thoughts on what is actually behind this.

I hear there's a global shortage of tinfoil hats as well.

Your rude and arrogant sarcasm aside, which seems to be quite normal for you, the notion that there are no politics at play behind this, and other reports of shortages on the supermarket shelves, and now talk of suggested problems with supply of turkeys at Christmas, strikes me as naive beyond belief. Indeed, listening to Ed Miliband on the news this evening attacking Boris and his new visas for hgv drivers just reinforces to me that politics is definitely at play here.

Out of respect of the forum rules, I won't post an article that places a strong connection between BP, who were represented by their head of retail, and a Cabinet Office taskforce along with representatives of other large British companies and industry associations that met just over a week ago to consider looser EU immigration policies.
By Rob P
malcolmfrost wrote:A different solution would be a minimum spend, minimum of 30l, if you can't fit 30l in you still pay for 30.....

Perfect. :thumleft:

Rob P
Paultheparaglider wrote:...the notion that there are no politics at play behind this, and other reports of shortages on the supermarket shelves, and now talk of suggested problems with supply of turkeys at Christmas, strikes me as naive beyond belief...

There are definitely politics at play in the broader sense however this queueing at petrol stations is all down to the bbc followed by the other moronic MSM.

Whether this is part of the bbc narrative to blame events in 2016 or just more general manipulation by an anti-government broadcaster I'm not sure yet.
StratoTramp liked this
Rob P wrote:
malcolmfrost wrote:A different solution would be a minimum spend, minimum of 30l, if you can't fit 30l in you still pay for 30.....

Perfect. :thumleft:

Rob P

This was the solution in the 1970s. 50 p max gave you a gallon and created queues
.£3 minimum stopped the queues of people visiting 6 stations to get half a tank.
StratoTramp liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Been to London and back today, most petrol stations closed a few open with queues and motorway services on M40 advertising no fuel.

As Mrsjohnm went to Chelsea yesterday we now have 2 half full cars , so we’ll see how things are locally. We’re planning to go to Suffolk next weekend, might have to fly!
By MikeB
johnm wrote:Something odd is happening as tanker drivers don't just need HGV they need ADR as well....

Plus site specific safety training, and for some refineries Special Branch vetting.. There's no quick fix if hordes of trained and certified tanker drivers really have left.
johnm, Flyin'Dutch', Nick liked this
By johnm
Just to add to the fun, the operators of the Stanlow oil refinery, Essar Oil, a UK subsidiary of an Indian conglomerate, are rumoured (article in the The Times )to be in financial difficulty having taken advantage of the VAT holiday in the pandemic, they are now required to pay up and may not have the cash.......
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
TravellerBob wrote:
Paultheparaglider wrote:...the notion that there are no politics at play behind this, and other reports of shortages on the supermarket shelves, and now talk of suggested problems with supply of turkeys at Christmas, strikes me as naive beyond belief...

There are definitely politics at play in the broader sense however this queueing at petrol stations is all down to the bbc followed by the other moronic MSM.

Whether this is part of the bbc narrative to blame events in 2016 or just more general manipulation by an anti-government broadcaster I'm not sure yet.

Again, I'm not sure I agree that the press are the cause.

Without doubt, there is now a shortage of delivery drivers in the UK. You can argue the reasons, but the net effect of the economics of supply and demand is that the costs of delivery to large organisations is under extreme upward pressure, and this is not in the interests of any large organisation that relies on these logistics.

I suggest googling "how BP sparked a fuel crisis in drive to ease visa rules". We might never learn the truth behind these leaks, and there is little doubt that the press have facilitated the current chaos, but there can be little doubt that there are also strong vested interests involved here.
Being ever the smart-arse I filled up within 30 minutes of a newspaper headline ping on my watch. £15.83 = full tank and a smug feeling a day before everyone went nuts.

There's a better solution than a spending limit - use market forces like any hard-headed Conservative government should

HMG to impose an instant temporary tax of £1 / litre and keep it in place for however many days are necessary. and buy as much fuel as you feel is critical at the time. It could be the thick end of a billion quid a week and I'd go one stage further and hypothecate the temporary tax for driver training and modern roadside facilities for HGVs and their drivers. Maybe pop up portacabin facilities in the meantime? Make the job more attractive again.
Flying_john, MikeB liked this