For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Any sense of gloating evaporated for me this morning - the Tesla had FIVE punctures in the OSR, and whilst fixable rendered the tyre not worth fixing due to only 2mm of tread, and that then meant getting 2 new tyres at £180 each fitted. But that won't be until Monday. :(

Ho Hum!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Propwash
I suspect that gloating by EV owners over supposed petrol shortages may be premature anyway, Colonel. The additional demands being placed upon our dwindling electricity supplies all but guarantee power outages in the near future. As I have watched the drive to scrap coal-fired power stations, the constant prevarication over new nuclear plants, the push to replace ICE vehicles with EV ones, the banning of gas-fired boilers and the constant introduction of more and more technology in our homes that need to draw power to work, I sometimes think we are heading for disaster. A really hard winter will be a challenge for the Grid.

A log burning stove and a horse tethered in the barn outside seems to be the best plan. :wink:

PW
tr7v8, Nick liked this
Colonel Panic wrote:the Tesla had FIVE punctures in the OSR, and whilst fixable

Ho Hum!

Sorry to hear that CP.

I seem to recall that the high performance tyres fitted to my GSXR1000 had a limit to the number of repairs allowed. I think it was 2. Could high performance car tyres have a similar limitation, even if not relevant in this case due to the wear?

In any event, I used to err on the side of caution and just bite the bullet and replace the tyres of my GSXR on the couple of occasions it had a puncture.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Jim Jones
Propwash wrote:I suspect that gloating by EV owners over supposed petrol shortages may be premature anyway, Colonel. The additional demands being placed upon our dwindling electricity supplies all but guarantee power outages in the near future. As I have watched the drive to scrap coal-fired power stations, the constant prevarication over new nuclear plants, the push to replace ICE vehicles with EV ones, the banning of gas-fired boilers and the constant introduction of more and more technology in our homes that need to draw power to work, I sometimes think we are heading for disaster. A really hard winter will be a challenge for the Grid.

A log burning stove and a horse tethered in the barn outside seems to be the best plan. :wink:

PW

Domestic lighting used to use 750kwh per year, with led lights it’s now 400kwh.
Repeat for energy efficient fridges freezers tv etc and there’s no shortage
Life Scientific BBC podcast last week)
EVs charge overnight when demand is low and can use what renewable wind power is available. 5p per kWh.
Coming soon are EV systems that will top up demand at peak time using energy stored overnight in the car battery . (You can set a minimum remaining charge for the car).

White heat of the technological revolution y’know :thumright:
johnm liked this
Jim Jones wrote:Domestic lighting used to use 750kwh per year, with led lights it’s now 400kwh.
Repeat for energy efficient fridges freezers tv etc and there’s no shortage
Life Scientific BBC podcast last week)
EVs charge overnight when demand is low and can use what renewable wind power is available. 5p per kWh.
Coming soon are EV systems that will top up demand at peak time using energy stored overnight in the car battery . (You can set a minimum remaining charge for the car).

White heat of the technological revolution y’know :thumright:

I am aware of increased efficiency in electrical use, Jim, but the ever-growing increase in demand will, I suspect, outstrip production capacity unless something radical changes very soon despite that.

I am also aware that home charging of electric vehicles takes place at periods of reduced demand, but I was thinking of those undertaking journeys and requiring charge away from home during other periods. If, as I fear, outages become more frequent in the near future it will be ICE drivers who might feel vindicated by their decision not to adopt EVs.

Let's check back in the near future and see who was right. :wink:

PW
Jim Jones liked this
By rf3flyer
I was asked by a friend if I would have available 20 l of mogas for his single seat aeroplane when he visited our local fly-in yesterday. No problem but I imagine the other handful of customers at the filling station watched me thinking "look at that selfish git stock-piling petrol!" :wink:

They wouldn't have understood.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
rf3flyer wrote:I was asked by a friend if I would have available 20 l of mogas for his single seat aeroplane when he visited our local fly-in yesterday. No problem but I imagine the other handful of customers at the filling station watched me thinking "look at that selfish git stock-piling petrol!" :wink:

They wouldn't have understood.

I don't know what the fuel situation really is, and. whether as is suggested in social media that emergency vehicles can't refuel: if either would be true then filling up for flying would not be the zenith of the communal spirit.