For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By ROG
Just recovering from a phone call. Feelin very shaky.
Thought that I would get a couple of quotes for wifies Micra which I use occasionally -mainly to fill up with fuel.
So phoned coop--listed in top 10 by which.
After going through numerous questions--asked my age as second driver. Over 80 and a bit. Wife is 72--so she"s ok .
Appears they dont insure anyone over 75--SEVENTY FIVE.
So at 74 and 364 days you"re ok --next day you"re GAGA.
I can hire a car from Enterprise--no age limit--I can fly a plane at 75 plus--although there are some companies that have a cut off at 75 or 70 !!!! -but the COOP dont want me.
The odd thing is that there are so many anomalies----.
Must admit that I play the doddery pensioner card when renewing sky etc.--as it seems to be assumed by some that you"re brain dead at 60.
I wonder what happens to the people who run these companies when they hit 60/70/80.
Maybe they all go to switzerland at 60.
Great to hear of other similar situations --presume a lot of forumites out there are booking a plot of land or planning to be scattered on runway 23.
By mick w
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
ROG wrote:Just recovering from a phone call. Feelin very shaky.
Thought that I would get a couple of quotes for wifies Micra which I use occasionally -mainly to fill up with fuel.
So phoned coop--listed in top 10 by which.
After going through numerous questions--asked my age as second driver. Over 80 and a bit. Wife is 72--so she"s ok .
I can hire a car from Enterprise--no age limit--I can fly a plane at 75 plus--although there are some companies that have a cut off at 75 or 70 !!!! -but the COOP dont want me.
The odd thing is that there are so many anomalies----.
Must admit that I play the doddery pensioner card when renewing sky etc.--as it seems to be assumed by some that you"re brain dead at 60.
I wonder what happens to the people who run these companies when they hit 60/70/80.
Maybe they all go to switzerland at 60.
Great to hear of other similar situations --presume a lot of forumites out there are booking a plot of land or planning to be scattered on runway 23.

But did you have your Caps Lock on :lol:
By Rob L
One of the WWII gents I met at Halfpenny Green for Project Propeller last weekend is 96, and still driving.
His passenger is 98 and has only just stopped driving.

Rob
By Milty
I wouldn’t take t personally. It’s all about risk profiles and bean counters. As already suggested, go onto a comparison site and it will show you plenty I expect. There will be some companies who will welcome you with open arms.
By ROG
Previous reply may be en route.
I have no problem getting insurance. I was looking for a couple of quotes to use if current insurance company quote has increased significantly. I was just amazed that their age limit for motor insurance was 75. 75 is no age--obviously health /lifestyle are big factors in continuing to be physically and mentally active. Flying certainly keeps the brain working--and you get some physical exercise pulling the aircraft out of the hangar.
As mentioned there a handful of over 90 s still flying--who presumably are insured.
I wonder if the age limits are the result of stats or prejudice.
What I find interesting is the different age limits for various insurances etc--there seems to be little logic in it.
By Milty
As I said, it’s just different risk profiles for different companies. It’s the same at the other end of the scale where some won’t touch an under 21. It will be stats and data driven - not prejudice. I’m surprised that one so old and wise is trying to apply logic to the insurance world. You’ll be trying to apply logic to flight prices next. :lol:
By skydriller
ROG wrote:asked my age as second driver. Over 80 and a bit. Wife is 72--so she"s ok .

Try getting car insurance for someone Under 25.
Telling them you are a Pilot will increase the premium.
Telling them "Engineer in Oil Industry" will reduce it.
Telling them "Offshore Oil Worker" will increase it.

Logic? There isnt any. Just play the game.
By ROG
My direct line has gone down by a few pounds. Direct line give a refund if estimated mileage is not met.
See some companies offer cashback--personally find it annoying--just give me a number-end of.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this