For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Miscellaneous wrote:
TheFarmer wrote:I’m beginning to wonder if I’m falling behind with social media. I don’t use Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, or SnapChat.

I use Facebook (less and less) and apart from WhatsApp to communicate with, I simply use text and email, and browse news/flying/farming stuff on my phone.

Am I missing out and falling behind?

You probably are falling behind and missing out, although I’d suggest you’re missing out on Carp you’d choose to miss out on if given a choice. :wink:

@Miscellaneous A bit wordy. This would cover it:-
You probably are falling behind but you're not missing out.
:)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
riverrock wrote:LinkedIn is work / employment related as far as I can see...

It started that way, but now has all the mod cons, such as "like", "support", "celebrate", "love", "insightful" & "curious" just as "reactions" to a post :puker:

It's all woolly, touchy-feely, virtue-signalling arrant bolleaux now. :pukel:
StratoTramp liked this
TravellerBob wrote:

It started that way, but now has all the mod cons, such as "like", "support", "celebrate", "love", "insightful" & "curious" just as "reactions" to a post :puker:

Most of the posts on LinkedIn that I see are re-postings of company BS. I guess that some people want to show their bosses how much they promote the company. If it's about a new product- or service offering, the re-poster usually adds keywords such as "world-class", "excellence" and similar. I'm glad I don't feel the need to impress my bosses with anything else that the result of actual solid work.
TravellerBob liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
akg1486 wrote:Most of the posts on LinkedIn that I see are re-postings of company BS. I guess that some people want to show their bosses how much they promote the company. If it's about a new product- or service offering, the re-poster usually adds keywords such as "world-class", "excellence" and similar.

I dont get that stuff - decidedly cringe-worthy and makes me go :roll:
StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
I stopped using Facebook in 2015. Used Twitter for about a month but it is really toxic.

Started using Instagram last month but it's really just shameless self promotion. It is much more positive though. Partly because it is image based.

I have a linkedIn but rarely use it. Mostly people humble boasting. " I am so proud and humbled to receive this ribena 5 yard swimming award etc"

Don't sweat. Email is forever. By not using them you are probably being more productive.

YouTube is my main timewaste. Can get a bit negative sometimes but it is mostly positive still.

:thumleft:
TheFarmer liked this
By riverrock
akg1486 wrote:
TravellerBob wrote:

Most of the posts on LinkedIn that I see are re-postings of company BS. I guess that some people want to show their bosses how much they promote the company. If it's about a new product- or service offering, the re-poster usually adds keywords such as "world-class", "excellence" and similar. I'm glad I don't feel the need to impress my bosses with anything else that the result of actual solid work.

Indeed. Our marketing department recently told everyone to get an account, and repost guff.

What they don't realise, is the other main use is by recruiters and head hunters. I got my last job interviews via recruiters asking me via LinkedIn.
StratoTramp liked this
StratoTramp wrote:YouTube is my main timewaste. Can get a bit negative sometimes but it is mostly positive still.

Agree 100%. I follow channels that cover such diverse topics as maths, cooking, history, comedy, physics, chess, linguistics and aviation. And the suggestion algorithms are actually quite good.
StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
akg1486 wrote:
StratoTramp wrote:YouTube is my main timewaste. Can get a bit negative sometimes but it is mostly positive still.

Agree 100%. I follow channels that cover such diverse topics as maths, cooking, history, comedy, physics, chess, linguistics and aviation. And the suggestion algorithms are actually quite good.

Oh yeah I forgot the education side too. When I'm a bit lazy but want to do some CPD I can usually find some tutorial video on there about an analytical technique. But yeah really interesting high quality stuff!

From silly slo-mo guys to general things like Smarter Every Day and then esoteric stuff like how to use a DSC.

Smarter every day had a good transparent carbouretter video.
By mick w
StratoTramp wrote:
akg1486 wrote:

Oh yeah I forgot the education side too. When I'm a bit lazy but want to do some CPD I can usually find some tutorial video on there about an analytical technique. But yeah really interesting high quality stuff!

From silly slo-mo guys to general things like Smarter Every Day and then esoteric stuff like how to use a DSC.

Smarter every day had a good transparent carbouretter video.

What's CPD , DSC, and Carbouretter :?
flybymike liked this
By StratoTramp
mick w wrote:What's CPD , DSC, and Carbouretter :?

Sorry Carburetor!

CPD - Continuous Personal Development (reading around a subject - attending seminars etc. I'm not a member of IMechE anymore as I think it is a waste of money (they used to mandate recording 40 hours a year or something), but CPD is one of the useful things - basically an acronym for - learn every day lol!)

DSC - Differential Scanning Calorimetry (something I have done CPD on with YouTube_

This is the carb video - quite interesting seeing the fuel inside in slow motion.

they did a follow up as obviously a plastic printed one is a gross simplification of how they work.

Last edited by StratoTramp on Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mick w liked this
StratoTramp wrote:From silly slo-mo guys to general things like Smarter Every Day [...]

Destin at Smarter Every Day is a joy to watch: curious, humble and open-minded, he doesn't really fit the stereotype of a person from rural Alabama. I follow him, as well as Derek on Veritasium and Joe on It's OK to Be Smart. And some more in the science realm.

I'm working from home since the pandemic started and I have to cook a lot more than I used to; there are no lunch restaurants in my neighbourhood. So cooking channels have really helped. I'm not going to list any favourites since it's quite personal what one likes. I prefer the ones that focus on the recipe and the method and not so much on themselves.
StratoTramp wrote:I stopped using Facebook in 2015. Used Twitter for about a month but it is really toxic.

Started using Instagram last month but it's really just shameless self promotion. It is much more positive though. Partly because it is image based.

I have a linkedIn but rarely use it. Mostly people humble boasting. " I am so proud and humbled to receive this ribena 5 yard swimming award etc"

Don't sweat. Email is forever. By not using them you are probably being more productive.

YouTube is my main timewaste. Can get a bit negative sometimes but it is mostly positive still.

:thumleft:

Never have used any of those morons sites or even a smartphone; e-mail fulfils all my needs.