For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By kanga
ah, MP names. Not a bad pun issue, but I recall in '60s talking to Cledwyn Hughes, then MP for Anglesey. He complained that in one Election there had been 3 Hughes and 1 Jones on the ballot, and in another 1 Hughes and 3 Jones including another Cledwyn! This was an era when there were no Party labels on ballot papers, although there was (and IIRC had to be filled with something*) an 'Occupation' description.

[* ISTR reading that Churchill used to put 'Bricklayer' as he'd done a course (serendipitous pun :oops: ) and was a member on their Trade Union :) , and Heath had 'Musician' . Among Conservative candidates 'Gentleman' and 'Company Director' were common. Labour candidates in those days had to be Union members, and Wilson used 'Journalist' as he was in the NUJ ]
T6Harvard liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There is a driving instructor
driving round Bury for the last few years with his name writ large on his car roof : Bill Hollocks…..
By OCB
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Anyone got that game show clip where the presenter loses it over a sports person called Fanny Schmeller?

Thread drift, and should be posted on the Bad Joke thread I know - but this golfing joke still makes me giggle:

“If Fanny Sunneson were to marry Vijay Singh - would that make her Fanny Singh?”
By eltonioni
One of my grandad's mates was Tommy Gunn. Sounds apocryphal but he was real, owned a petrol station in Hoyland Common.
JAFO liked this
By OCB
2 French colleagues got married.

His family name was Renault - not exactly unheard of in terms of French family name.

Their daughter, Megane, was born 1994 or 95, anyway - not very long before - well, you can figure it out….

not at all a joke, and you have no idea how many times we ended up staring at the ceiling, biting our lips and doing hard mental arithmetic or similar to avoid bursting out laughing. Poor lass, I’m guessing she’ll have changed her name by now!
By OCB
T6Harvard wrote:
Kirkbymoorside wrote:When I learnt to fly my instructor was Colin Rudder….

C. Rudder - But surely he should have been teaching sailing with a name like that?

I’d imagine he’d have a bit of stick with that name….
T6Harvard liked this
By grow45
One of my former colleagues working in renewable energy on wind farm projects was a K Turbyne. My team also dealt with hydro -electric projects and when we recruited K Turbyne the other candidate on the shortlist was an M Flood.
JAFO liked this