For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Sooty25 wrote:The irony is, if the field wasn't up for development and remained an arable field, we wouldn't know what was under it anyway.

This is similar to the twisted nonsense "logic" that a Grade 1/2 Listing achieves, where the listing agent (HE usually in England) would rather the place fell down in a ruin than had the wrong sort of Oak Beam repair
TravellerBob wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:The irony is, if the field wasn't up for development and remained an arable field, we wouldn't know what was under it anyway.

This is similar to the twisted nonsense "logic" that a Grade 1/2 Listing achieves, where the listing agent (HE usually in England) would rather the place fell down in a ruin than had the wrong sort of Oak Beam repair

Buildings, just like flying Spitfires, are a product of their long history and what's been needed at any moment in time.

Totally off-topic now but I like asking this question: Do you think that buildings, villages, towns and cities were better before 1947 - the year the Town & Country Planning Act came in.

I have my own thoughts (having worked on many very crappy and often dangerous old buildings) but most people think they were better before regulated formal town planning was a thing.
Still farming related.
BBC Today R4 just had a piece about a shortage of CO2 meaning pigs cannot be stunned before slaughter.
The worst case scenario, due to the cost of keeping them alive, would be to cull them.

So, the alternative to killing them, would be to kill them.

Is it me? :scratch:
Colonel Panic liked this
On topic, how would the Vikings have killed them? Five tons of animal bones at Coppergate y'know and presumably they all met their end without CO2
By Rjk983
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Jim Jones wrote:Still farming related.
BBC Today R4 just had a piece about a shortage of CO2 meaning pigs cannot be stunned before slaughter.
The worst case scenario, due to the cost of keeping them alive, would be to cull them.

So, the alternative to killing them, would be to kill them.

Is it me? :scratch:

Slaughter implies killed in an abattoir then processed into meat products. All a very controlled process following strict animal welfare and hygiene guidelines in order that the suffering of the animal is minimal.

Culled implies the most humane method of killing the animals but outside of the strict abattoir rules, therefore the resulting carcass is destroyed and the animal was reared and killed for no benefit.
Rjk983 wrote:
Slaughter implies killed in an abattoir then processed into meat products. All a very controlled process following strict animal welfare and hygiene guidelines in order that the suffering of the animal is minimal.

Culled implies the most humane method of killing the animals but outside of the strict abattoir rules, therefore the resulting carcass is destroyed and the animal was reared and killed for no benefit.

I see, I visited an abattoir 60 odd years ago, Dad was a butcher, all I saw for cattle, sheep and pigs was a stun gun.

Given the changes in various practices in the Covid emergency, it seems strange seems odd that similar changes can’t be made here.
Perhaps the produce could be sold at 1/11d per pound…..