For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By TravellerBob
...and again, back on topic :thumleft:

Propwash wrote:<snippity> she should be a shoe-in for Sports Personality of the Year.

PW

Agreed she is definitely a very strong contender, however 2021 has thrown some very good competitors into the limelight, some of whom won't make the bbc list for whatsoever reason :roll: but some we have to think might compete with her for top prize.

Mark Cavendish
    Adam Peaty
    Laura Kenny
    Sarah Storey
    Raheem Sterling

Couple there really tick a few bbc must-haves and since they no longer actually broadcast any sport :roll: it's odd they still host SPoY anyway.

I'd like to see her win it, but maybe as a "joint winner" with someone like Cavendish - new kid on the block and the comeback kid. It has a nice symmetry.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
johnm wrote:A slightly odd definition of politics when it takes in social history and geography :roll:

Quite so: Mods please explain how the assertion that a person of non-English origins who settled here as a baby, is reared and educated in England and gains a British passport has every right to call herself British is remotely political? :scratch:

Perhaps concentrate your donking on the inter-personal abuse and mud slinging further up this thread.....................
By eltonioni
TravellerBob wrote:
    Mark Cavendish
    Adam Peaty
    Laura Kenny
    Sarah Storey
    Raheem Sterling

The trouble with your list is that it's Sports Personality OTY and none of them have a personality across a wide following. Cav would / should top that list with Peaty at the bottom.

My prediction which will be that voting will be rigged by intense BBC coverage of the main contenders insofar as whatever contracts the BBC have in place or are trying to acquire at the time. What's being renegotiated? Tennis? Football? F1?

Then Gareth Southgate will win it with his personality free career.

[/grimeycrystalball]
By TravellerBob
Well it's already rigged by them as you can only vote for contenders they put on the list rather than "any" sportsperson.

Wimbledon is about the only sport on bbc so that's definitely to Raducanu's advantage. Southgate lost, remember?
By eltonioni
Being a loser never stopped anyone becoming a Sir as attested by Sir Nick of Facebook.

That said, I just Googled SPOTY 2021 contenders and Cav is the bookies favourite. If he wins I might start going to church.

Edit: I think I inadvertently did both politics and religion there. Apologies Mods.
TravellerBob liked this
By Rob P
There was a time, or maybe it was a place, where the OP could delete the first post and the whole thread would vanish. I heartily wish it was possible here and now.

Rob P
G-BLEW, Milty, GrahamB and 1 others liked this
By Propwash
There is a really nice video of her doing the rounds on social media, as I mentioned before, where she is sitting at the end of the match and laughing with British fans as they sing Sweet Caroline. If I knew how to post it here I would because it is the ultimate feel good watch. She does seem a very nice and unaffected young lady, which all the reports by those who know her support. I hope she has a good team around her to protect her from all the industry sharks that will now be circling her.

PW
TravellerBob, mick w liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Propwash wrote:There is a really nice video of her doing the rounds on social media, as I mentioned before, where she is sitting at the end of the match and laughing with British fans as they sing Sweet Caroline. If I knew how to post it here I would because it is the ultimate feel good watch. She does seem a very nice and unaffected young lady, which all the reports by those who know her support. I hope she has a good team around her to protect her from all the industry sharks that will now be circling her.

PW

Here you go:

mick w, johnm, Propwash and 3 others liked this
By TravellerBob
Rob P wrote:Time to drag the thread back on track with a picture that makes me smile

Rob P

Anyone else hear her saying [thinking] "mine"? :oops:
mick w liked this