For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
PeteSpencer wrote:Anti English sentiment is all around us, including sadly in the other three countries of the Union.

Ain't that the sad truth, although you only have to read the comments here to get a taste of the nastiness.

As I said, shame an uplifting thread about a young lady's magnificent tennis achievement against another very talented young lady has to be hijacked by the 'chip on shoulder' brigade. At least The Farmer can have a fairly decent stab at who whinged about his harvest thread and who may have incorrectly whined to the PFA about him.
StratoTramp, A4 Pacific liked this
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I liked this article, written a month or two ago. https://www.vogue.co.uk/arts-and-lifest ... -interview
She gives the impression of being inwardly confident & grounded, recognising she was different from her peers as she raced motorcross, and embracing that difference.
Impressive young lady.

I also hope she isn't then used and smothered by people's own hobby horses as an example of X or Y - it helps noone unless she can inspire others to be better / more.

Congratulations to her! I pray she doesn't get smothered and lost in the moment.
StratoTramp, A4 Pacific liked this
By StratoTramp
Flyingfemme wrote:Ah, but she’s not just a Brit. She was also claimed by our Irish Romanian hostess last night.

Bit like Andy Murray...

When he won - Good day fro British tennis.
When he lost - only a bad day for Scottish tennis in isolation :lol:
By A4 Pacific
Anti English sentiment is all around us, including sadly in the other three countries of the Union.

I couldn’t agree more. Some people seem completely incapable of giving this awesome young lady a pat on the back without trotting out their favourite tropes. Precisely as they have in the past.

I found the whole experience utterly uplifting and heart warming. The good news for us is that she looks very unlikely to be a flash in the pan.
eltonioni, TravellerBob, mick w and 2 others liked this
By Rob P
A4 Pacific wrote: Some people seem completely incapable of giving this awesome young lady a pat on the back without trotting out their favourite tropes. Precisely as they have in the past.

:thumleft:

Depressing, isn't it?

Rob P
By johnm
I'm not anti-English, I am English :-) Thus far quite a healthy old mongrel too. :-)
By kanga
I have no interest in any sport. However, I am vicariously delighted when even the normally xenophobic corners of the UK media, at least the print and broadcast ones, seem to embrace the undeniable achievements of an immigrant polyglot of mixed parentage whose prowess is also matched by her recent academic results. The same attributes are also apparently true of her opponent, and of the young current circumnavigatrix. But obviously I (without any discernible achievements in any field) may be biassed .. :wink:
Flyin'Dutch', Smaragd liked this
By A4 Pacific
TravellerBob wrote:
johnm wrote:I'm not anti-English, I am English :-) Thus far quite a healthy old mongrel too. :-)

You know this thread isn't about you, don't you? :?:

Or indeed about ‘the English’! (Unless you have that same old bitter axe to grind! Again!)

Not least because she either is, or isn’t, truly English depending on which particular hobby horse your prejudice wishes to ride today. :roll:

I thought she was fantastic, and I look forward to many many more victories!
Rob P, TravellerBob liked this
By Dave W
Everyone, stick to discussing an inspirational sporting achievement please.

Not politics or sniping at one another. That is as boring to deal with as a Mod as it will be for the majority to read.
A4 Pacific, TravellerBob, Rob P and 4 others liked this
By eltonioni
If anyone is going to take credit I'm giving it to my mate who actually ran the LTA, herded the fighting cats, and put in place all the stuff that transformed British tennis. At least he wasn't a vicarious actor like the rest of us.

At the end of the day her success is a massive team effort by many people and institutions working together in whole or part to deliver a great thing and there's nowt wrong with all of them feeling a bit proud of playing a small (or large) part in it. She's had to do the work but talent and success doesn't just appear by magic.

It's a bit like national pride in a country really - teamwork. That's why sport is so fantastic and much better than knocking seven bells out of competitors, or other countries. :)
By Propwash
It also helps that she is not at all hard to look at!

My Twitter feed has several re-tweets of video of her singing along to Sweet Caroline with fans after the match and her smile is infectious. It is almost impossible not to smile too while watching it.

I think the calls for her to receive an honour in the next list might be a bit premature, but she should be a shoe-in for Sports Personality of the Year.

PW