For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
It seems nobody has told Emma Raducanu that the Brit role is to be the plucky loser.

I am not a sports fan, I rarely watch sport on TV. But the final was riveting.

Go Girl!!

Rob P
riverrock, Flyin'Dutch', Milty and 6 others liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Toronto born, parents Chinese and Romanian.

When do these furriers learn to assimilate and keep their heads down and British reservedness?

Come over here, steal our jobs.

Some are known to do just that, then marry an English rose, take them abroad and have them take a different nationality.
Rob P, nallen, MikeB and 1 others liked this
By Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Come over here, steal our jobs.

That was my point Frank.

She forgot she's supposed to be the gallant loser. ;)

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By PeteSpencer
What a fantastic match , played out in front of a semi-hostile ( did you hear them booing when she was a bit slow on a coupla serves?) partisan N American crowd.

They couldn’t even be bothered to stay till the conclusion of the presentation ceremony : the stadium was almost empty by the time Emma came to ‘show the trophy to the spectators’.

Spectacular achievement by the youngster who provided she stays injury free surely has a great future ahead of her.
T6Harvard, TravellerBob liked this
By TravellerBob
She played a remarkably good match against a very good opponent. She must be so pleased to put the "choke" of Wimbledon behind her as well.

A tremendous future for this young lady. Good luck to her. :thumleft:
riverrock liked this
By PeteSpencer
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@PeteSpencer As you say dreadful behaviour; still no beating up of English fans as the Italians had to endure in Wembley..

Apples/pears:

UK tennis is played at Wimbledon, not Wembley :roll:
TravellerBob liked this
By TravellerBob
PeteSpencer wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@PeteSpencer As you say dreadful behaviour; still no beating up of English fans as the Italians had to endure in Wembley..

Apples/pears:

Just anti-English bitterness I have noticed in a few poster's comments.

Shame, this was such a positive thread supporting this young lady's achievement.
By PeteSpencer
TravellerBob wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:

Apples/pears:

Just anti-English bitterness I have noticed in a few poster's comments.

Shame, this was such a positive thread supporting this young lady's achievement.

Anti English sentiment is all around us, including sadly in the other three countries of the Union.

I was staggered to hear the BBC TV 1 oclock News announcer yesterday mention on a story- ' a number of Brits.......'

Imagine the howls if she'd said. 'yanks', 'frogs', eyeties' 'glicks', taffys or micks'.

Enough to make me turn into Victor Meldrew.....

I'm even too intimidated to put a Cross of St George in the back window of my car: I've compromised with a Union Flag.....

This from Canadian press today after vowing to stick with their girl and not claiming Emma as their own despite country of birth and her dual nationality.

Meanwhile in Canada, the country of birth, the Toronto Star's Rosie DiManno wrote: "The whooping Brits will be insufferable, basking in the glory of their first female Grand Slam champion in 44 years. 
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TravellerBob liked this
By Propwash
Social media is awash this morning with people holding up this young woman as a great example of positive diversity and immigration, suggesting that those who complain about the scale of illegal immigration on the Kentish coast should take note . There is, of course, no linkage between the two and Emma has been legally in England since she was two years old and is in every way now British. I think it is a disgrace for her to be used in that way by people to score political points and from what I have read about her I doubt she would approve. I hope contributors to this thread who might feel so inclined manage to resist the temptation. :roll:

I thought the match last night was outstanding with some very impressive rallies, no grunting and no histrionics. Both players set an example their elders would do well to follow. And to win as an outsider without dropping a single set throughout the tournament was an amazing achievement. :clap:

PW
Rob P, eltonioni, TravellerBob and 2 others liked this
By johnm
I was delighted to see the young lady working so well. The English are a bunch of mongrels and English nationalism is just ridiculous to me. St George was Turk who never visited England. Tribal rivalry between Celts and the immigrant Angles, Saxons etc. is a touch outdated, though the Celts have some justified grievances
kanga liked this
By eltonioni
Come on Johnm every nation is a bunch of "mongrels", but what a daft argument to beat yourself over the head with if you then go on to bleat about "ridiculous nationalism" because to call out a "mongrel" you have to believe in the tribalism of inherent nationalism in the first place. Celtic grievances - there's that stinking nationalism again. :roll:

Anyway, back to cricket. The rot started to set in when we let some Derbyshire bloke play back in the 1800's but if you're going to bend rules handed down by the Almighty Himself to make the Glorious Acres more glorious still, He chose well by anointing Vaughn even though he's from the wrong side of hill. Obviously, Tendulkar being born in India was just an accident of birth that Himself quickly put right.

Tennis? Oh yea, she was totally fantastic, just need to keep priorities straight. Has she done her A-levels? :) She will do well if she can stay out of the way of the journalists and cameras who want a piece of her in that career ruining way that happens when things happen so fast.