For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By chevvron
I have 2 debit cards and one credit card. I've tried to present these at ATMs but the slot won't let me push the cards in. I've observed others presenting their cards at the same ATM with no problem.
My cards all work in shops either with chip and PIN or in the slot, so why can't I I draw cash as well as make purchases?
I've tried at 3 different sites in the Woking and Chertsey area all with no success.
By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Have you presented the card in each of the four possible orientations? It’s usually face-up, chip first. Modern cards put all the data on the back unlike the previous generations.
Kittyhawk liked this
By T6Harvard
My Mum tried to put her card in the receipt slot and stood cursing for a few seconds until I noticed. She suffers from WMD and can't see the on-screen instructions now though, bless her.
By TravellerBob
They're rectangular with rounded corners and they typically go into the ATM short end first .

Are you sure you're not trying to put it in sideways? i.e. longer side first - generally speaking they don't fit that way.
By Boxkite
Don't the cash machines have a gate that only opens when it detects a card? Sounds like the machines are not detecting the proximity of your cards.
Have your cards been exposed to magnetism?
By TravellerBob
rf3flyer wrote:@TravellerBob I don't know chevvron but I really cannot believe he's been trying to slide his cards in sideways! :?

You've never met an ATCO have you? :lol: :oops:
By chevvron
Boxkite wrote:Don't the cash machines have a gate that only opens when it detects a card? Sounds like the machines are not detecting the proximity of your cards.
Have your cards been exposed to magnetism?

The gate does not open; 4 locations, 2 in Lightwater, one in Chobham and one in Chertsey and 3 different cards, however you've reminded me; on monday, before the problem started, I had an MRI scan at Chertsey hospital and although I emptied my pockets before going in to the test chamber, I wonder if enough radiation escaped (it was very strong) to 'wipe' the cards.
T6Harvard liked this
By TravellerBob
Hope your MRI shows nothing to worry about.

The only time I have ever had a card malfunction was when I stored it temporarily near my mobile phone and the mobile went "mad" searching and trying to lock onto a mobile signal in an "iffy" area of coverage.
By Sooty25
Maybe the ATM is just being polite, maybe its saying "no mate, you ain't getting anything, I've seen your balance!"
By tr7v8
It's not you it is the card. My wife had this, brand new card from Nationwide, worked in most shop card readers but wouldn't work in the various bank ATM machines. Not just Nationwide ones but other banks as well. I compared it to mine & they looked identical, I didn't mike it up but suspect it was a fraction thicker. She had a discussion with someone in the Nationwide who basically didn't believe her!
He tried it & found out what she was talking about. They ordered her a new card & the new one was fine..