For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rising 5 year old twin grandson in first week in Reception in 'big school' this week was being shown how rainbow colours appear when light passes through glass block..

The teacher asked him why he thought this was happening, (he's still only four.)............

'I dunno, but I'll ask grandpa; he knows everything'..

Attaboy ! :lol: :lol:
johnm, MikeE, Gas Guzzler and 11 others liked this
By johnm
Make the most of it, it'll only last another 3 years or so :D
By lobstaboy
PeteSpencer wrote:'I dunno, but I'll ask grandpa; he knows everything'..

Wonderful :)
But how did you explain it to him in a way that was meaningful to that age group?
By PeteSpencer
lobstaboy wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:'I dunno, but I'll ask grandpa; he knows everything'..

Wonderful :)
But how did you explain it to him in a way that was meaningful to that age group?

I used the singing analogy: OK I know wavelength isn't the same as frequency but v =f lambda so it'll do:

I said every colour 'sounds' different and demonstrated high low and middle notes.

Then I played him a bit of 3 part harmony (=3 colours) where only one sound is heard:(white).

I think he got it. :roll:
lobstaboy, johnm liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Grandkids can get you into trouble sometimes - on arrival of a visitor, one of them chipped in - “grandad is clad you’ve come. When he saw you coming he said, that’s all we need”
Nick liked this
By Jim Jones
PeteSpencer wrote:Rising 5 year old twin grandson in first week in Reception in 'big school' this week was being shown how rainbow colours appear when light passes through glass block..

The teacher asked him why he thought this was happening, (he's still only four.)............

Of course!
He now thinks his teacher is an idiot for not knowing about the electromagnetic spectrum when all he needed was to ask you next time you came to collect your grandson..

Grandkids are ace aren’t they?
T6Harvard, johnm liked this
By akg1486
PeteSpencer wrote:Rising 5 year old twin grandson in first week in Reception in 'big school' this week was being shown how rainbow colours appear when light passes through glass block..

Did he mean you or the other grandpa? :lol:

Seriously: enjoy the feeling. My nephew is 16 and still thinks I know everything. I guess that within a year or two he'll come to the conclusion that I know nothing.
T6Harvard, johnm, Rjk983 liked this
By avtur3

I'm a grandparent to our first grandchild, a grandson who is just 15 months old. We are very lucky that we live just 3 miles away from him and my wife is his daytime carer while his mum returns to teaching 3 days a week.

I can't put into words the attachment/bond with a grandchild, it is all new but what a brilliant experience. We're not yet walking or talking but we're mobile in other ways and extremely vocal in a rather unintelligible way. However what is already extremely rewarding is his reaction to seeing me, call me a big softy but it melts my heart every time.

I've already set some markers with him in terms of kites, chuck gliders, rc model cars .... which of course is all thoroughly self indulgent ...
T6Harvard, johnm, PeteSpencer and 2 others liked this
By kanga
avtur3 wrote:..

I've already set some markers with him in terms of kites, chuck gliders, rc model cars .... which of course is all thoroughly self indulgent ...

Some of the best customers of the JAM shop are grandparents with grandchildren, pretending that the purchases are for the latter; and yes, they often start with the chuck gliders :)
T6Harvard, akg1486, OCB liked this