For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill McCarthy
Watched the start of the above series last night. Perhaps it doesn’t matter to the general public, but there were so many errors in what was supposed to be the innards of a Trident submarine that made it resemble a tardis.
It seems that it is crewed by women in the main, and why is everyone talking quietly ?
Rob P, Cessna571, kanga and 1 others liked this
By Rob P
Thanks @Bill McCarthy . I had wondered how realistic the innards were. They do seem quiet spacious.

They did mention "Six women on the crew" at some point.

Was that Faslane itself where the shore based facility was shown?

Rob P
By Cessna571
Bill McCarthy wrote:Watched the start of the above series last night. Perhaps it doesn’t matter to the general public, but there were so many errors in what was supposed to be the innards of a Trident submarine that made it resemble a tardis.
It seems that it is crewed by women in the main, and why is everyone talking quietly ?

I did think of you last night when it came on, I didn’t watch it though tbh.

I once spent one of the most interesting afternoons of my life inside a submarine at Gosport at the museum, talking to the chaps that had served on them (while the rest of the general public wandered past) the stories they had were amazing. The insight incredible.

The way I talk about and the passion I have for flying, was how they spoke about submarines!

I do enjoy it when you post about your former life, I do hope one day, somehow I’ll get to buy you a beer.
By Jim Jones
Good to get your perspective Bill.

I enjoyed the drama, and recalled the need for suspension of disbelief when you’re an audience.
Apart from the physical environment, what’s your take on roles and relationships on board, are they just as off course?

Casualty and Holby City spring to my mind in relation to a field I know about. (And I get amusement from what they get wrong).
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Makes a change from every medical series having its authenticity picked to bits I suppose . :roll:

You know the stuff : newly minted female junior doctor arrives at Holby City with emotional/family/social/professional baggage ( choose one) , commits major faux pas, is rescued by slightly less junior junior doctor who is desperate to get into her knickers

Next series she’s carrying out open heart surgery unassisted . :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
By A4 Pacific
There were so many ways in which “Vigil” felt exactly like “Line of duty” or “Bodyguard” (Or even “Gentleman Jack”!) in/on a ‘boat’.

BBC drama is utterly formulaic and more than a little tedious.

Some of the sets made Vigil very reminiscent of the Starship Enterprise! If we’re talking accuracy, I wasn’t aware the navy ever flew yellow HAR 3s? Fairly obviously they had just taped over the Royal Air Force writing on the fuselage!

Done well, fiction is easy to buy into. Sometimes it just jars.
By kanga
I haven't watched it yet, but recorded it (I hope) ..

There was a piece on R4 'Today' this morning, with the set designer and a former Dreadnought officer. The designer explained that they had 'people' to consult about the relative layouts (which bits connected to which), and had also built the set so that the overall internal and external hull dimensions were correct. However, they (consciously) made the corridors wider than realistic to enable the filming of 2 people conversing side by side as they walked, both faces being visible, as filming conversations between people walking in file would be less 'narrational' (my gist). Also, the interior lighting was changed up or down from realistic, again to enable filming. The Dreadnought officer was non-committally courteous in his reactions :)

[what had already irritated me was the constant repeats of trails for this TV programme on radio coming up to the hour. Presenters and continuity announcers on BBC Radio used to try to be careful not to 'crash the pips', which was regarded as 'unprofessional'. It now appears that they have been told not to 'crash the trailer' :? ]
townleyc liked this
By Spooky
Submarines felt cramped and claustrophobic even when I was a tiny 8 year old (school trip to Birkenhead to see HMS Plymouth and HMS Onyx many years ago).

While most modern shows require an understanding that it’s nothing like reality and set design needs adjusting to accommodate the actors/cameras, it’s a pity that one of the defining characteristics of submarines is abandoned.
By A4 Pacific
it’s a pity that one of the defining characteristics of submarines is abandoned.

Yet it was excellently portrayed in Das Boot!

I guess the BBC just couldn’t get the staff/budget/interest?
By Bill McCarthy
I wonder who the ex Dreadnought officer could have been - he’s out of touch !
I knew from the start that there were problems with the set.
Landed on the fin instead of on the casing, and all mast tops are faired (no gaping holes) for breaking through ice. Anyway, they wouldn’t surface when on patrol, no matter who got bumped off. You have to earth the helicopter to the boat before transfer (our was a broom handle with a length of wash basin chain to do the “earthing”.
You can’t walk between the missile tubes, and I suppose they were painted red for effect.
The torpedo compartment, passageways, and bulkhead doors were massive (you have to duck down to get through them).
Blimey, the bunks had a mattress on them - mine was an inch thick and all my kit was underneath. Six of us were billeted in a bunk space 6ft x 6ft x 6ft at the end of a passageway. It had a door - the only other person who had a door was the skipper and his cabin was the same size, and directly connected to the control room.
We never ever called each other by rank or rating, said sir, or anything formal.
Reactor SCRAM is an automatic shutdown of the reactor and we practiced that every bliddy day at 20.30, just as the movie was starting - no big deal, except that we had to reduce electrical loads, stop the projector and shut off the fridge, for some strange reason. We’d be up and running again in twenty minutes. I doubt if there ever will be a female officer (the person calling the shutdown) in the propulsion department.
rf3flyer, Cessna571, Spooky liked this
By gasman
PeteSpencer wrote:Makes a change from every medical series having its authenticity picked to bits I suppose . :roll:
You know the stuff : newly minted female junior doctor arrives at Holby City with emotional/family/social/professional baggage ( choose one) , commits major faux pas, is rescued by slightly less junior junior doctor who is desperate to get into her knickers
:

Rewatch Cardiac Arrest on iPlayer - the most authentic depiction of NHS medical politics I’ve seen on telly :wink:
flybymike liked this
By stevelup
Bill McCarthy wrote:I doubt if there ever will be a female officer (the person calling the shutdown) in the propulsion department.

You can't really believe this?
By PeteSpencer
gasman wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Makes a change from every medical series having its authenticity picked to bits I suppose . :roll:
:

Rewatch Cardiac Arrest on iPlayer - the most authentic depiction of NHS medical politics I’ve seen on telly :wink:

Agreed: watched it many times : I used to work for one of them as an SR!
By Propwash
I used to get frustrated by the blatant errors in police dramas; I have yet to see one that resembles reality even when they have well-qualified advisors on board. I suppose the demands of portraying stories in any field limits the ability to bow to accuracy. The majority of viewers won’t know that the errors (many of which are deliberate to increase dramatic effect) are there anyway. Some find out when they experience the services of police, NHS etc in real life and for a few that comes as a shock. :lol:

Very, very few will discover the truth in respect of submarines or space travel. :wink:

PW