For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By lobstaboy
Proper heroes hold the torch at arm's length sideways from the body so that if the bad guy shoots at the torch they may well miss you. Hold it near your head or body is asking for it.
Same as never having a "third light" off a match for the enemy sniper to aim at.
flybymike liked this
By Bill McCarthy
I suspect that the RN still uses the old NATO right angled torch. However, woe betide anyone who goes searching for something without having a red film installed behind the “glass” if shut down to night red lighting in the control room.
By Cessna571
<torch drift>

That reminds me, as a child I had a rubber torch that had a mechanism to put a red filter on.

If I remember correctly it was some sort of slider at the lens end.

I think it also had a green filter.

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a toy, no idea where it came from, and sadly nearly everything we owned as children went in a skip when my parents moved house.

As a poor family growing up in the 70’s most of our stuff came from “junk shops”, most of which was well made, but from a slightly different time / place / situation.
By Paultheparaglider
Cessna571 wrote:<torch drift>

As a poor family growing up in the 70’s most of our stuff came from “junk shops”, most of which was well made, but from a slightly different time / place / situation.

Four Yorkshire men mode. You were lucky.

As a poor kid growing up in the 50s / 60s, we didn't have stuff.

I had to wear hand me down clothes from my elder brother. On the plus side, at least I didn't have an elder sister - school life would have been tough in those circumstances. :wink:
lobstaboy, Charles Hunt liked this
By lobstaboy
Unsuitable second hand clothes were still around a generation later. I have a photo of my daughter taken in 1989 wearing a hand knitted Thomas the Tank Engine jumper that was a hand me down from her elder brother. She reckons this scarred her for life.
That and me eating her left over pizza one day when I came home from work that she was looking forward to...
By Rob P
Cessna571 wrote:That reminds me, as a child I had a rubber torch that had a mechanism to put a red filter on.

If I remember correctly it was some sort of slider at the lens end.

I think it also had a green filter.

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a toy, no idea where it came from

Almost certainly your parents trying to channel you into a career as an ATCO

Rob P
Charles Hunt liked this
By Mz Hedy
We all scar our children for life - it's called 'parenting' and I'd assert it's what makes us all unique, individual human beings.

As to holding torches 'like a dagger', I was informed long ago that holding overarm (like a 1940's Holiwood Red Indian) is generally a stupid way to use a knife in a fight. It should be held underarm (like a torch :thumright: ). Personally I've never used a knife, only sport-fencing weapons, of which sabre was my favourite, which apropos is also held underarm like a torch.
By Paultheparaglider
The reason police hold torches overarm is so that when they whack it on your head it doesn't break the bulb. Do this underarm and you can't then see to inspect the bloody pulp of the perp's mashed skull. :wink:

Some of the above may or may not be made up tosh.
Rob P liked this
By Rjk983
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill McCarthy wrote:The other prog which attempts to show real life in a nuc boat has been dramatised somewhat. The last episode showed them tracking a Ruskie, “hiding” under a ship underway - no doubt about it, an exercise. The Russian boat wouldn’t slink away, they come bliddy straight at you.

Continuing the drift from the fictional “vigil” to the channel 5 “real” documentary… there clearly wasn’t much they could show that would add some jeopardy to the second episode so they made up the storyline of the heads all being blocked while on patrol. Except when the magic drill failed to clear the blockage, they resorted to acid down the drains, clearly delivered and administered by some contractors from shore in their marlin environmental high vis vests, boiler suits contractor pass lanyards and white hard hats. Why bother pretending they were underway on a patrol?
By OCB
Bill McCarthy wrote:I suspect that the RN still uses the old NATO right angled torch. However, woe betide anyone who goes searching for something without having a red film installed behind the “glass” if shut down to night red lighting in the control room.

The red filter thing worked out well for me as a parent of young kids (and husband sneaking in from pub later than my pass had allowed).

Being far too Scots to invest in a torch, or even a red filter for the light on my smart phone - I simply stick a finger over the light, then move it just enough that red-tinted light gets through. :thumright:
By malcolmfrost
So you have a problem that means you have to wear a dry suit. Do you choose someone who isn't a crew member and has anxiety and claustrophobia issues, or do you pick someone else!!
By Bill McCarthy
In the Ch5 boat series, I detect an unhappy crew. For a captain to shout out “will someone take charge”, all is lost - it usually has the complete opposite effect. All he had to say was “ I have the submarine” when he was in a position to do so, while the issue was sorted out. Shouting gets you no where and certainly does not gain respect.