For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By A4 Pacific
There’s a very good documentary series on Ch 5 at the moment called “Submarine: Life under the waves”

The obvious and fundamental differences between that, and this BBC ‘La-La
Land’ are rather staggering.

Or not! As is now usually the case with the BBC! :roll:
By eltonioni
stevelup wrote:Not rubbish enough to stop watching it though :lol:

:lol: I have to admit that it's turned out to be that genre of carcrash TV that's irresistible. Tune in next week to find out if it was a rating in the torpedo room with a lead pipe.

[best Monty Python voice]
... and another thing, how come diving helmets have lights that illuminate the occupant and not the things they are looking at? And for that matter, why don't they just turn on the lights instead of stumbling around in the gloom?

And why do these lurex dancing tights go baggy at the knees? Tragically, these and other essential questions may never be answered in the denouement.
By rf3flyer
eltonioni wrote:... and another thing, how come diving helmets have lights that illuminate the occupant and not the things they are looking at?

That, I think, comes from one of these daft Sci-Fi movies or series, Battlestar Galactica or something, I can't be bothered trying to remember, but I used to wonder the same thing. Blind the user and give the potential threat an edge. Doh!
By Jim Jones
Acting in a helmet behind a face screen is hard when no one can see your face. (And it could be a cheaper stand in actor)
CSI type torches at a crime scene are dramatic, real CSIs turn on the lights.

Baggy tights, a tradition since Errol Flynn as Robin Hood carried it off nonchalantly
eltonioni liked this
By Rob P
Jim Jones wrote:CSI type torches at a crime scene are dramatic, real CSIs turn on the lights.

I am always intrigued by the special way tele law enforcers have to hold their torches. They are always required to have knuckles on top of the torch (aka 'flashlight') and thumb to the rear, the way no civilian ever holds theirs.

Now, back to the boaty thing...

Rob P :rambo:
flybymike, StratoTramp liked this
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Rob P Mrs GB and I play a game where we have to spot new TV/Film drama-only artefacts

The torch thing was the one which sparked the game. Others include:

- the first night time scene, anywhere, has to have a fox barking within the first ten seconds. You never hear the beast again during any later scenes in darkness.
- all tv ad couples are mixed race.
- basic hygiene seems to be ignored immediately after lovemaking.
Rob P, flybymike liked this
By Colonel Panic
Can't recall whether it was mentioned elsewhere, but there is an excellent series of videos by Smarter Everyday aboard an American nuclear submarine. First one at

By Rob P
GrahamB wrote:- basic hygiene seems to be ignored immediately after lovemaking.

Well we know what you've been watching!

You must add to your list the racking of the action on pump action weapons. I can't recall ever seeing a previously fired cartridge case ejected, so the hero was patently wandering into harm's way without a round chambered up to that point.

Rob P
GrahamB, AlanC liked this
By Bill McCarthy
There are no such radiation suits or even gas masks on board. There are however, emergency breathing masks with a 5ft air hose with a male PCL coupling on the end. There is an emergency breathing ring main with multiple plug in points around each compartment - moving around means taking a deep breath, unplug and “fleet” to the next plug. If someone is occupying that plug, you’ve got to find another, and quick !
The opening sequence shows a torpedo leaving a tube, and it’s turning about its longitudinal axis. This would of course topple the gyro, rendering it useless.
The other prog which attempts to show real life in a nuc boat has been dramatised somewhat. The last episode showed them tracking a Ruskie, “hiding” under a ship underway - no doubt about it, an exercise. The Russian boat wouldn’t slink away, they come bliddy straight at you.
kanga liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Bill McCarthy wrote:The last episode showed them tracking a Ruskie, “hiding” under a ship underway - no doubt about it, an exercise. The Russian boat wouldn’t slink away, they come bliddy straight at you.

Ah yes, that documentary, The Hunt for Red October!
By Rob P
Oddly, those pesky Ruskies were doing just this in the real submarine docu I caught a brief glimpse of this week.

Rob P
By GrahamB
Colonel Panic wrote:AIUI the new way that torches are held is partly due to the way the "button" is often on the rear rather than the top, and also because it gives the bearer some form of enhanced superiority. EG

Naaah, the holding of a torch like a dagger goes back to at least Moulder and Scully, if not before, when standard issue was a Maglite with a twisty lens end, not a button at the back.
Colonel Panic liked this
By flybymike
I have it on good authority from a friend in the TV industry that torches are held like a dagger so that both the torch and the face of the hero holding it are both visible on camera at the same time. Holding the torch in the normal fashion underarm would not adequately allow both the holder’s facial expressions (essential to the plot) and the fact that they were also actually using a torch, to be shown on camera in the same shot.

I must say that it does irritate me every time I see it.