For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill McCarthy
The reason I doubt women will be in the propulsion dept - there is quite a “shine” from the reactor compartment (unmanned, but there is a for’d to aft tunnel over the top for access) and women of childbearing age are denied being classified radiation workers. I’ve had annual radiation doses within two months on my first boat and the max allowed then was ten times higher than allowed now. Film badges (the blue things) sent from our boat couldn’t be measured as the photographic plate within was “burnt”black in all parts of it. Believe me, there are not many of us still around. Still, as an ex Dreadnought, I hope I last long enough, and get an invite to the next Dreadnought launch (in build now) at Barrow.
StratoTramp, Spooky, Pete L and 1 others liked this
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I suspect things are, as you suggest, much stricter now. I can't imagine anyone - male or female - being subjected to that and it be deemed 'acceptable' in 2021.
By PeteSpencer
When I were a junior doctor in the Midlands it was frequently my lot to shove a stick of radium (about the size of a Woodbine with a gentle bend) into the patient's uterus under general anaesthesia as a preliminary to radical surgery.
The radium remained in situ IIRC for ~36 hours so patient was shipped upstairs to the radium ward and her bed surrounded by a wall of lead sheets.

Naturally I wore a lead apron and had a radiation badge, processed every month.

The badges were kept in a metal locker in the medical secretaries' office.

One month there was a flap as all our badges had all turned black indicating a huge dose.
It turned out that the secretaries' cupboard door had been left open overnight and the radium ward which was directly above had never been given a lead floor.

Think about it..................
By StratoTramp
stevelup wrote:I suspect things are, as you suggest, much stricter now. I can't imagine anyone - male or female - being subjected to that and it be deemed 'acceptable' in 2021.

It's a question of shielding, weight and distance. Obviously you can only be so far from the reactor when in the submarine and the sub can only be so heavy.

It's also due in part to what they deem a "safe" dose gradually reducing. Probably beyond practical now. I get more radiation from flying.

Fast dividing cells are the most at risk hence the exclusion of women in case they happen to be pregnant - Maybe it's seems bit sexist but nobody wants to be on the end a mutant baby lawsuit. :cyclopsani:

HSE just made us add a load of stuff to our radiation regs about pregnant women. Admittedly they were last revised about 8 years back :lol:
By Jim Jones
PeteSpencer wrote:When I were a junior doctor in the Midlands it was frequently my lot to shove a stick of radium (about the size of a Woodbine with a gentle bend) into the patient's uterus under general anaesthesia as a preliminary to radical surgery.
The radium remained in situ IIRC for ~36 hours so patient was shipped upstairs to the radium ward and her bed surrounded by a wall of lead sheets.

Naturally I wore a lead apron and had a radiation badge, processed every month.

The badges were kept in a metal locker in the medical secretaries' office.

One month there was a flap as all our badges had all turned black indicating a huge dose.
It turned out that the secretaries' cupboard door had been left open overnight and the radium ward which was directly above had never been given a lead floor.

Think about it..................

Similar story about a radiotherapy room being built with special bricks and mortar.
The lead enhanced mortar was heavy to carry, so the builder used normal stuff.

Cost many many £ to knock down and rebuild.
By Rob P
Much suspension of belief and critical faculties required for Ep2. Not even just in relation to boomer teccy stuff.

It's time to just sit back and enjoy the fantasy whodunit.

Rob P
By stevelup
Starting it tonight.

I'm glad I now know it is a fantasy whodunnit and not a factual documentary about life on board a submarine... I mean you would never have guessed this from the trailers... :lol:
By ROG
I watch a lot of russian films on u tube---- Those about WW2 seem to have an amazing number of warplanes which resemble the YAK 52.
As said its fiction/ entertainment --take it for what it is.
By Jim Jones
I’ve just been informed that the Fort Knox interior shown in Goldfinger is not like the real one, nor is the War Room in Dr Strangelove.

Ruined them for me. :pale:
kanga liked this
By mossie
Wife in no uncertain terms told me not to mention anything, repeat anything about any inaccuracies in the programme/equipment/procedures/language/etc.

Spoils it for her she says....

I try to see beyond it and just enjoy the twists and turns. But I've never known a pump-jet to produce so many bubbles ! :shock:
By eltonioni
Watched the first five now. It’s rubbish.