For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There’s a less than complimentary piece in today’s ST about Pen Farthing and his interaction with officials , almost libellous I’d say.

Particularly the fact that he was obliged to leave all his staff behind .

Maybe they’ll get on the last US aeroplane. :wink:
By Dave W
The Thin Pinstriped Line blog, always a reasoned read on defence matters, is uncharacteristically scathing about Pen Farthing.

kanga, Nick, johnm and 3 others liked this
By Rjk983
stevelup wrote:The animals were in the cargo hold. Unless you think we can start shoving humans in the cargo hold, this thread has no merit whatsoever...

I know the reports say he chartered an aircraft and the U.K. Govt involvement was solely to sponsor a landing slot. So maybe the aircraft was a passenger aircraft with a large cargo hold. Or maybe it was a civvy cargo aircraft.

But ref putting humans in the cargo hold… you are aware that a C17 or a C130 is pretty much all cargo hold…
Flyin'Dutch', kanga liked this
Unlike humans, it is very difficult to establish the loyalties of a cat or dog if their master is not present. A cat or dog left behind in Kabul would not be tortured or recognised as an enemy by the Taliban. Cats and dogs have no concept of religion or the value of lithium, they take no side. Their need to be airlifted is therefore much lower than people.

Time will tell how many carry diseases they carry. Many may have a shorter life here than had they stayed in Kabul.
Spooky liked this
By riverrock
The Taliban previously banned all cats and dogs as pets, so would have most likely put them all down / used them for target practice.

Would be interesting to know where the airlift limitation was. Aircraft, paperwork or airport. If this got in the way of any of them, stopping humans getting out, it would be incredibly hard to justify support.
As Terry Pratchett would (probably) have said, “getting those animals out was a million to one chance”…therefore guaranteeing its success.

From a strategic perspective- I actually like that this recovery was a success.

It shows to our Taliban/Russian/Chinese “friends” that us in the West are so eccentric/deranged - that we cannot be trusted to be rational.

Leaving your adversary doubting that they can predict your moves is just below mutually assured destruction in terms of effectiveness IHMO.
OCB wrote:Leaving your adversary doubting that they can predict your moves is just below mutually assured destruction in terms of effectiveness IHMO.

I see what you're saying, however I think they'll know the irrationality is usually to our own detriment, rather than being on a mutually destructive, let alone shoot first sense. :wink:
Miscellaneous wrote:
OCB wrote:Leaving your adversary doubting that they can predict your moves is just below mutually assured destruction in terms of effectiveness IHMO.

I see what you're saying, however I think they'll know the irrationality is usually to our own detriment, rather than being on a mutually destructive, let alone shoot first sense. :wink:

:)

Well - that’s I’m guessing what Saddam thought, especially when it made zero sense that he was responsible for 9/11.

;)
Keveng, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By johnm
JAFO wrote:What's all the fuss about? The flight was privately funded and animals were to travel in the hold. Why is that a problem?

Because there’s an uneasy feeling that, for quite a few Brits, Afghan hounds are more important than Afghans.
Well, as much as I enjoy a nice steak or bacon sandwich (mmmm bacon) I can't help but feel that in the not too distant future humans will look back with absolute horror at us farming and eating the ancestors of the sentient creatures that our descendants have worked out how to chat to.

Spend the inheritance now because our grandchildren will be handing over what's left to the Four Legs Good Reparations Board.
TravellerBob liked this