For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Like some others here I travel quite a lot (hence the name :oops: ). The "humanising" of various animals with silly attire, baby-talk, grown adults(?) calling themselves 'mummy and daddy' to animals [esp. small dogs] etc. it surprises me not that part of society ranks these strays higher in the "help me" equation than fellow humans.

It does however surprise me that people on here support rescuing animals ahead of people howsoever it was funded, approved, and arranged: That is disappointing.

It's another sad indictment of the decadence of western society and, pace Roman and Greek Empires before us, we all know where such decadence leads and ends.

This episode makes Cameron's pig exploits look remarkably tame. :pig: :shock:
JAFO wrote:What's all the fuss about? The flight was privately funded and animals were to travel in the hold. Why is that a problem?

Because the hold in question must have been heated and pressurised. Since many people were flown out of Kabul sitting on the floor of a cargo carrier, why did nobody consider sticking a few people on mattresses in the hold?
If I was fearing for my life I’d have done it in a heartbeat.
TravellerBob liked this
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyingfemme wrote:Because the hold in question must have been heated and pressurised. Since many people were flown out of Kabul sitting on the floor of a cargo carrier, why did nobody consider sticking a few people on mattresses in the hold?

Who though? The Taliban were not letting anyone enter the airport. By this time, there were not hoards of people airside where you could just throw some extra people in the aircraft.

It's easy to look back to day one of this appalling saga where the runway was overrun and people were clinging to the outside of aircraft, and somehow conflate it with a near empty aeroplane leaving with just a few fluffy pets on it, but that's not the reality of the situation.
Flyin'Dutch', Rjk983 liked this
stevelup wrote:
TravellerBob wrote:It does however surprise me that people on here support rescuing animals ahead of people howsoever it was funded, approved, and arranged

Can you provide a single quote to back up that statement?

I didn't see one person saying that!

The inference is clear, despite some weak obfuscation:
JAFO wrote:What's all the fuss about? The flight was privately funded and animals were to travel in the hold. Why is that a problem?

Now, as pointed-out above by @Flyingfemme, humans could have been transported but were not.

This animal flight is indefensible.
TravellerBob wrote:
stevelup wrote:What you said JAFO 'inferred', he absolutely did not.

Quite right: He implied it and it is the readers who infer it. :thumleft:

I may or may not have implied it, you inferred it.

As it happens, I did not imply that I approved of the movement of animals over humans but I may have implied that, to my knowledge, they did not take room in an aircraft or otherwise use resources that could have helped humans.
A4 Pacific liked this
This animal flight is indefensible.

What utter tosh!

There are a myriad of indefensible acts and omissions that have occurred around Washington, London and Kabul in recent weeks. But that’s not one of them!

The level of incompetence has been breathtaking. It’s that we should criticise, rather than the competent that highlight those failures!!
A4 Pacific wrote:The level of incompetence has been breathtaking. It’s that we should criticise, rather than the competent that highlight the failures!!

When I signed-up to this forum I agreed to not post political posts and I am not about to go against that now despite provocation you and others may throw my way. :oops:

Now I say again, this flight, this "Noah's Ark fantasy flight", is a totally indefensible, ego-stroking, selfish act.

Whether this aircraft, with this particular "slot" and this configuration would or could have taken the 60 staff Noah unceremoniously dumped back in Kabul [to face an uncertain but likely unpleasant immediate future] cannot be answered here by the resident four-legs-good champions because we/they weren't there and cannot know. What we do know is that Noah himself is back in the UK, safe and well whilst his staff and helper's welfare is anyone's guess.

Indefensible.
malcolmfrost liked this
AIUI due US changing the paperwork and the Taliban refusing entry to the airport, Farthing was the sole occupant of the passenger deck on the aeroplane that his charity paid for, and he was the last civilian out of Kabul. The military pitched in for an hour to load up, including some who were on rest periods. By the time he was legging it he might as well have taken the animals because the viable queue of humans had melted.

The problem wasn't empty spaces for people, it was bums to put on them. Let's not blame Farthing, he was trying to get the hell out of Dodge like everyone else. Blame the Taliban, not their victims.
JAFO, Kittyhawk liked this
eltonioni wrote:AIUI due US changing the paperwork and the Taliban refusing entry to the airport, Farthing was the sole occupant of the passenger deck on the aeroplane that his charity paid for, and he was the last civilian out of Kabul. The military pitched in for an hour to load up, including some who were on rest periods. By the time he was legging it he might as well have taken the animals because the viable queue of humans had melted.

The problem wasn't empty spaces for people, it was bums to put on them. Let's not blame Farthing, he was trying to get the hell out of Dodge like everyone else. Blame the Taliban, not their victims.

What was stopping Farthing loading the animals and then leaving the airport to assist his local staff?
TravellerBob liked this
Indefensible

Maybe preface that with “in my opinion”?

I completely disagree with you. Not least because “in my opinion” the level of incompetence on display here is of precisely the magnitude that leads to the fall of empires you describe.

How revealing you are prepared to accuse those who disagree with you of ‘provocation’! :roll:

Don’t criticise minor ‘success’. Address the abject failure!