For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Honky tonk woman: Greatest intro of its time... RIP Charlie

Greatest Rock and roll band ever: I followed them from the very start............. :roll:

Bill Wyman gave me an album(The silver one-can't remember the name :oops: ) in 1983 signed by them all when I was struggling to 'Raise-a-Laser', Auctioned it at a fundraising bash for £300- often wished I'd kept it!. :shock:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kittyhawk liked this
By johnm
A sad loss, his demise and that of Don Everly are making me feel distinctly mortal :(
By OCB
Flyingfemme wrote:His style was so laid back, he almost didn’t seem to move. And his kit was so sparse compared to most drummers these days. Proof that it ain’t what you got - it’s what you do with it.

I’m not at all a drummer - but am a classically trained musician and one of my sprogs has been training as a drummer for the past 3 (admittedly somewhat weird for the latter part) years.

What I hear from most percussionists is that Charlie wasn’t exactly a highly accomplished musician.

To me - as a fan of “real live music” versus the highly controlled (but still emotive) classical scene - it’s perfectly fine that someone isn’t a technical wizz, but is a creative genius.

I’ve heard plenty of bad things said about Charlie - but ffs, what a life for someone who many don’t consider to be a “good drummer”!
By Rob P
Number 12 in Rolling Stone magazine's top 100 drummers of all time. I thought he deserved better, most of the other eleven I can't honestly say I know, but Keith Moon #2 and John Bonham #1 are surely waiting in drummer heaven for his arrival.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
By akg1486
Last time I saw the Rolling Stones was during the Bridges of Babylon tour in, I believe, 1998. I clearly remember Charlie Watts coming on to the stage, thin and as always immaculately dressed. He almost looked frail. I also remember thinking "How will a skinny old man like that be able to play a whole set? Playing the drums is physical work!". Of course he wasn't really that old at the time: 57, so just slightly older than I am now.

They are all getting on a bit in life, but I never expected Charlie Watts to go before Keith Richards. It will be interesting to see if they replace Charlie or if they (finally) call it a day.
By Propwash
I wonder how many people in the 1960s would have expected any of the Rolling Stones to make old bones? Their lifestyle was a contradiction of almost every piece of medical advice I have ever seen about healthy living. :lol:

They talk about a life lived to the full. He and his fellow band members certainly took that on board with a vengeance. And the music was great too.

PW
Colonel Panic liked this
By Rob P
John Bonham or Ginger Baker for me. But really my music knowledge is too limited to make much of a meaningful contribution.

Rob P
By johnm
If you are looking for definitive drummer he's here

That said Charlie was an excellent drummer and performed consistently in both the Stones and jazz, providing the glue that held the rest of the ensemble together, as any good drummer should :-)