For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Hmm, I thought it was this one...

Modelled on Keith Moon it is alleged.

Rob P
By lobstaboy
johnm wrote:Charlie was an excellent drummer and performed consistently in both the Stones and jazz, providing the glue that held the rest of the ensemble together, as any good drummer should :-)

Yes.
It's pointless comparing Charlie to other drummers. He was the right drummer for the Stones and they are the greatest rock and roll band in the world.
That's all that needs to be said.
'Best drummer' depends on style and era as much as ability.

Neil Peart (Rush) has often been cited as "best drummer" in the world, probably true.

However others, such as:

Phil Collins (Genesys)
Nick Mason (Pink Floyd)
Dave Grohl (Nirvana / Queens of the Stone Age)
Ian Paice (Deep Purple)

Would be eligible

RIP Charlie. :salut:
OCB liked this
By OCB
For those interested- some pretty interesting stuff here (that has zero Charlie content):

https://www.avclub.com/these-are-the-br ... 4/slides/4

A drum break is clearly not a rhythm, or lead, or refrain or all that fancy musical bl.0x - but the “amen break”…that’s exactly the sort of thing that Charlie did.

It got copied/modified/played with - it evolved - but the “hommage” is there.

“Amen break” is reputed to be the most copied/sampled bit of percussion (or even music) ever.

I dunno - I just know that modern musicians have been searching for something new for the past 30 years, and with notable exceptions, they’ve kinda struggled to have the ground-breaking originality of the previous 3-4 decades
OCB I agree with much you have written however the drummers I listed (as well as Moon/Watts et al) were inherently good *in their time* which I believe differentiates them from riffs/rhythms sampled by others and re-released to a different audience. YMMV.
By Kittyhawk
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Charlie often said the Stones were just his day job. He led a rather good Jazz Orchestra for many years.

A tribute from Nick Mason:

Possibly the most underrated of all the great rock'n'roll drummers. No solos, or fancy gymnastics, just exactly the right feel for the music.
And that's just the playing.. he was also probably the coolest figure on stage in the history of Rock. Gallivanting all over the stage is all very well, but to limit your stage act to removing your jacket and hanging it on the back of your chair is particularly Zen...

Charlie and his wife also bred some of the world's finest Arab horses.

A life rather well lived
Dave W, OCB liked this