For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Rather than clog up the Flight Sim Requirements thread, I thought I'd ask these very dim IFR questions here ...

A simulator software package (Navigraph) suggests the following route from London City to Gatwick.
DCT D074R/N0282F080 DCT GINTI/N0287F090 DCT DET DCT TIMBA DCT MAY DCT

What does D074R/N0282F080 mean? D074R is shown as a "point" NNW of City but other than that I don't know how it is defined (or a radial from)? I'd like to think N0282 was a speed, but 282Knots is too fast for <FL100. Ditto the N0287F090.

I can't find a point D074R on my Jeppesen City SIDs (dated 2002) so maybe it means "follow the 074deg radial from LON towards GINTI"?

My version of X-Plane is using a very outdated AIRAC cycle and this might be why I am unable to input this route in to a B738 FMC, but it might also be a meat ware issue :oops:

TIA
I expect Navigraph and the sim struggle with that sort of route because these intra TMA airfield flights are a bit odd and unusual, even for those that used to work them :P

Your best bet for such a flight might be to go to the Standard Routes Document, see what it wants, then try and program that in yourself. Said SRD is a spreadsheet these days, and for City to Gatwick it says...

Does that make it easier?
Having looked at what Navigraph produces for me on the same route, which bears no relation to what ATC would expect one to fly as in the SRD, it appears to mean to me that at some random waypoint it’s created for itself (the D074R, no idea what that actually means in terms of where or what it’s defined from) your speed and or level is going to change to one or both of the values after the slash.

Fly the SRD route!
Colonel Panic liked this
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Colonel Panic wrote:That's all very interesting, but ...
What does D074R/N0282F080 mean?

8)

It means as you were on the way to deducing - at point D074R True Airspeed changes to 282 knots and level changes to Flight Level 080.

How point D074R is defined I have no idea, as I dont have the blurb in front of me, but lots of things may not tie up if your sim data and charts etc don't all align AIRAC wise.
Colonel Panic liked this
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I may be able to offer some help on the original D074R terminology @Colonel Panic

Whilst procedures have presumably changed over time, this is the sort of thing that your routing is attempting to convey (this diagram is the current London City LYD SID.

The D074R does indeed refer to the 074 Radial of the LON VOR. The current SID sees that radial followed until intercepting the 104 track inbound to GINTI. What you are seeing is effectively FMS RNAV shorthand.
Colonel Panic liked this