For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@flyingearly
I think you'll find your proposed Norfolk bolthole prices would make yer eyes water:
I's become a bit of a Chelsea on Sea over the last 20 years.....

10 years ago I remember a converted cow byre in Burnham Market went for just shy of half a million.................
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteSpencer wrote:@flyingearly
I think you'll find your proposed Norfolk bolthole prices would make yer eyes water:
I's become a bit of a Chelsea on Sea over the last 20 years.....

10 years ago I remember a converted cow byre in Burnham went for just shy of half a million.................

Yes, I fear that as well! Budget max £300k - looking for something 2 beds, ideally 3, that we can do up a bit over time.

I've found quite a few places in IoW or Dorset/Devon way that might work, but will explore other recommendations. The plan will be to make a few day trips to these places first and suss out whether it's an area we'd want to visit!
For IoW don't dismiss the adjacent south coast of UK areas such as around Lee on Solent.

You obviously then have all the mainland in the area has to offer, and if happy to go by public transport can be on the IoW in ten minutes at reasonable cost by the Hovercraft and right next to the bus and train station over there on disembarking.
By Forfoxake
flyingearly wrote:My wife and I have found ourselves in a fortunate position with a little bit of spare cash and we are thinking about buying a small little apartment/cottage to act as a bolthole for us to retreat to a few times a year, which we can rent out the rest of the time and cover some of our costs. We're not worried about making a profit from it, or looking to get rich, but I am looking for some recommendations to help us focus our search area.

What I would really like is to buy somewhere:

- In close proximity (reasonable taxi ride) to an airfield I can get in/out of easily (400m, ideally not one that floods too badly in the winter)
- By the coast (or by 'a' coast)
- Less than 2 hours' flight time ideally from Rochester (around 175 nm)
- Ideally South Coast, but not South-East (e.g. thinking towards Hampshire/Dorset/Devon/IoW) but not a deal-breaker if there are some nice places up Norfolk/Suffolk way - basically not looking to buy in Kent/Sussex.
- Ideally looking at slightly 'nicer' towns/villages, if I'm allowed to say that
- Somewhere that's not a PITA to drive to, if I can't fly for any reason

So far, my Rightmove search radius is looking at places on the IoW near Bembridge/Sandown but keen to consider locations Devon/Dorset way. I'm based mid-Kent, 20 mins from Rochester.

Any thoughts/recommendations most welcome!

A bit far (308nm), I know, but there is talk of an airpark at Strathaven (530m). And you could certainly get a nice cottage nearer the coast well within your budget. And you would not need a passport (at least, not yet!).
You might be lucky on your budget in the areas mentioned - but folk have been buying up country property in those areas for decades. And post covid prices have gone up lots more.
I'd be looking at Yorkshire in your position. Good airfields, good coast, good countryside. Good pies, good fish. Shame about the beer...
By PeteSpencer
Of course if it’s only for a few weeks a year and not to retire to finally have you considered a static caravan on one of the more up market sites

There are dozens of them all round the east coast right on the beach and they are booked solid till October so renting would not be a problem .

However choose carefully !
By Sir Morley Steven
There’s a small place for sale near Caernarfon.
France is accessible, The area where I have a gaff is 20 mins from a 1000m grass strip and an hour from a small regional with customs.
Property starts at around 50 grand upwards

Beaux villages immobilier is a good place to start the area is Aveyron and Tarn. Its beautiful and 3 hours away in my Arrow.
By Genghis the Engineer
Whilst my first suggestion would be Lee on Solent like Irv, there are quite a few nice and affordable places around the villages of Sutton Scotney and Mitcheldever Station in Hampshire. That gives you Popham, a mainline station into London, and the A303 all within about a mile. The river Test not much further and the south coast about half an hour's drive.

G
Why choose the south coast - you would still be in the rat race, traffic etc. Go to FR24 and take a look at aerial activity north of the Caledonian canal - to save you the trouble, there isn’t any. Boltholes there are a fraction of the cost of anything south. Build your own hangar, strip, explore and chill out.
Rent it out when you are absent, and make a fortune.
By Genghis the Engineer
Bill McCarthy wrote:Why choose the south coast - you would still be in the rat race, traffic etc. Go to FR24 and take a look at aerial activity north of the Caledonian canal - to save you the trouble, there isn’t any. Boltholes there are a fraction of the cost of anything south. Build your own hangar, strip, explore and chill out.
Rent it out when you are absent, and make a fortune.

Definitely doesn't tick the "within 2hrs" box, but Wick is very pretty with incredibly low property prices, a coastline, and a very nice airport right next door. It is also so far from SE England that nobody will ever find you.

G
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
Definitely doesn't tick the "within 2hrs" box, but Wick is very pretty with incredibly low property prices, a coastline, and a very nice airport right next door. It is also so far from SE England that nobody will ever find you.

G

Yeah, but have you seen the neighbours? There’s this farmer bloke who used to drive submarines. And he’s one of the normal ones. :wink:

PW