For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Colonel Panic
One has to love the way Facebook want to behave.
The report cites that Facebook has confirmed it is building a team of artificial intelligence researchers to "study ways of analyzing encrypted data without decrypting it." While it is still early in development, the research could enable Facebook to use users' encrypted WhatsApp messages and then utilize that information for targeted advertising.

Not quite sure how a message can be deemed to be encrypted & secure and yet still be anal-ised & monetised at the same time. But if there is a way then I'm sure Facebook will find it ... :roll:

I'm just glad I don't do Facebook, WhatsApp or Instagram.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Rob P
At the moment I'd trust confidential stuff to WhatsApp way before email.

Rob P
johnm liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Anything seriously confidential goes snail mail or mobile phone call
By kanga
Colonel Panic wrote:..
Not quite sure how a message can be deemed to be encrypted & secure and yet still be anal-ised & monetised at the same time....

Plenty of (mostly military) history behind the concept:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_analysis
rikur_ liked this
IMHO there is a huge difference between confidentiality and privacy. I have very little in my life that I would regard as confidential, but I do guard my privacy.

As a friend once said, everyone knows what you get up to when you close the loo door, but that doesn't mean you want to leave it open ...
Paultheparaglider, kanga, eltonioni and 3 others liked this
By Micromouse
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Its called traffic analysis. Been done for years. who is talking to who is useful.