For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill McCarthy
Bring back throwing pebbles by sling as an event I say ! Next time it’ll be how fast a text - “The quick brown fox……….” can be done on a smart phone.
rf3flyer liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I did watch the Olympics last night as some family members decided to put it on the TV in our holiday accommodation

Mind numbingly boring like football basically
Nick liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:@Bill McCarthy in non covid times this is live and well. Will it suffice? :wink:

That looks great! Is it televised?

I haven't really had time to switch the telly on at all for the Olympics, but I did see the triathlon one night when I put the TV on in the background. That's quite gruelling. When I was working in London for the 2012 event, the triathlon was the one thing that a couple of colleagues and myself went to see in person (though we saw others on telly screens in various pubs and bars!). One of said colleagues actually competes in triathlons.
By kanga
I'm not a fan nor team follower (nor practitioner :) ) of any sport, and have not been watching the Olympics except, serendipitously, as a 'newsworthy' clip within an occasional TV news bulletin. This is usually because a 'local' sportsperson has done something noteworthy, since it is normally only the regional news bulletins which I watch. I prefer to get wider UK and world news from radio or online, as having content less distorted by the availability or dearth of TV footage :wink:

But I have noted some of the Olympics commentary within radio news bulletins. This morning there was unsurprising discussion of the Team GB 13yo who won bronze in a skateboarding event. It was remarked that gold and silver went to Japanese competitors, silver to a 12yo IIRC; that the Brit had a Japanese mother and lived in Japan; and that typically any Japanese children's playground would have a challenging skateboard ramp.

This last bit struck me. Here in UK, when enthusiasts have proposed the erection of skateboard ramps in public parks and playgrounds, I have sometimes heard or read of locals objecting because 'it would lead to kids hanging around together'; incidentally, there have (over the years) been similar objections locally to at least two proposals to erect Air Cadet huts, so that Cadets of a successful, growing, Squadron did not have to book spaces in a shared community hall.

Is it only a British (or even English) trait for adult neighbours to assume that 'kids hanging around together' (or, worse, enjoying themselves :roll: ) would be inherently troublesome ? And further (but as I personally have heard voiced) the suspicion that any adult involved in trying to help or organise them (eg but not only as an Air Cadet instructor, or Scoutmaster or Guide Leader, or .. skateboarding club coach ?) must be doing so for sinister and possibly perverted reasons ? :roll:
johnm liked this
By kanga
Miscellaneous wrote:@kanga I'm guessing you have more interest in Lord Digby Jones' opinion on Alex Scott's commentary? :wink:

Having had a nomadic life even within the anglophone world (as well as beyond), and been judged for my pronunciations and accents in various languages, I am disinclined to criticise anyone else's :wink:
By eltonioni
Even the 13 year olds on skateboards are impressive. They have still put in the hard yards to be measured against their piers.

Bill McCarthy wrote:Bring back throwing pebbles by sling as an event I say !

:thumleft: No different to javelin really.

Anyone for potty knocking (or a translation ;))?

By Flyingfemme
Every morning while I drink my coffee I watch another sport - this morning was ladies speed rock climbing. I can understand it because it's a "fastest to the top" thing and I was glued to these girls, swarming up the wall like they were spiders.
By Bill McCarthy
One of our crew wandered into the mess wearing a string vest and when another said “here he comes in his woofters scrambling net” it quietly went into the bin.
By Sooty25
I wonder if the guest events of the 1936 Olympics will return?