For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By GliderV
I am looking for a noise cancelling headset to replace my DC H10-13X. They are a great set but I find them painful on the earlobes after an hour or two.
I am looking probably at Lightspeed Zulu 3 or Bose A20 for use in noisy aircraft.
Advice please from users regarding noise suppression and comfort.
Thanks
By Rob P
Nobody can advise on comfort because they don't have your head.

All you can do is visit Transair or a similar outfit and sample them, whichever suits you best buy them from Harry Mendelssohn

I have Lightspeed, I have tried Bose for long periods, I can't detect any significant difference in performance.

Rob P
By Ben Twings
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'd recommend a good in-ear type such as the QT Halo, CQ-1 or Clarity Aloft.

They can achieve noise attenuation better than ANR in the noisiest of cockpits, weigh almost nothing and are more comfortable to wear. No batteries to worry about either.

Ear buds make them more 'personal', but you wouldn't want to share them anyway.
Dusty_B liked this
DC One - X

About the most comfy I have used.

The Indian Bose ones just don't cut it for me - too expensive and not comfy. They also don't play well with other brands.
By Fellsteruk
+1 for Zulu 3 I debated over them a20 and the dcx. In the end I found the Zulu better for comfort over the a30 but it’s a subjective thing. Didn’t nothing any different in noise cancellation all good kit and you’ll be happy with either I’m sure.

Personally I’m not a fan of Bose support but that’s me jaded from a pair of NV7000 noise cancellation headphones I have but you google and you’ll find no shortage of ravers for Bose as much as DC or Zulu
By Paul_Sengupta
Bose will bend over backwards to help you during the 5 year warranty. Outside that, you're wading through muddy waters. In my experience, Lightspeed like to help even outside their warranty period if it's nothing too demanding, and DC tend to give lifetime support as long as they're still stocking the parts.

Bose are really comfortable if you have normal sized ears. If your ears are large, the Zulus are more comfortable.

I haven't worn the new DC X prize thing, so can't comment on the comfort of that.
By riverrock
For me, Zulu 2 was more comfy than Bose A20 - they sat and sealed around my ears (and glasses) better.
It is subjective. I know others who say Bose A20 is more comfy.

I can't wear any earphones for longer than an hour without sore ears - so I wouldn't contemplate inner ear versions.

The one-x reviews (https://www.flyer.co.uk/david-clark-one-x-headset/ https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/articl ... x-headset/ ) suggest it doesn't have as good active or passive attenuation as either LS or Bose options. Its much lighter weight but I'd be worried about the smaller ear cups.
By Paul_Sengupta
In summary then...

Rob P wrote:Nobody can advise on comfort because they don't have your head.

:D

Oh, and I'm another person who doesn't like in-ear things. 1) I find them uncomfortable, 2) One of my ears doesn't want to hold the thing in, and 3) It takes an age (for me) to take the things off and put them on again to any satisfaction. Over ear headsets I can easily just put on and take off, er, so to speak.
Rob P liked this