For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Miscellaneous
rf3flyer wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:[...Couple of women out for a cycle (I hesitate to refer to them as cyclists), good on 'em so far, except they were riding 2 abreast; one on the cycle lane which was more than adequate to have 2 abreast, and one on the road obstructing traffic. They seemed totally oblivious. :lol:

Ah but...was the inner one on a cycle lane or on the extended verge of the road which many assume to be a cycle lane but isn't?
Either way two abreast is perfectly legal.

Here you go rf3, I did not question the legality, which incidentally has little influence on whether it is a sensible, considerate, or safe(st) thing to do.

A bit like using the argument of only holding traffic up for 'a few seconds' is irrelevant and no justification for being inconsiderate and selfish. :wink: It may, however, be a window in to the mind of the cyclist and why some are intentionally inconsiderate? Stuff 'em, they can just wait a few seconds? :wink:

JAFO, AndyR liked this
By rf3flyer
The 'we pay road tax (VED) and you don't' argument is probably largely spurious.
When I was commuting by bike my car on which I DID pay VED was parked at home not adding to the congestion and air pollution.

[edit]
@Miscellaneous I'll grant you that does look like a cycle lane. Perhaps they were maintaining their 2 m 'social distancing'. :wink:
By malcolmfrost
@Sooty25 can you help with any references as to whether this has actually happened? Sunak didn't mention VED in this years budget so maybe it's been conveniently forgotten in favour of longer term road pricing which is inevitable with a reduction in fuel duty take :(
By malcolmfrost
This is pretty bad!
https://twitter.com/i/status/1230193447434362882
I see similar on my 500m cycle to the paper shop every morning which is slightly uphill. Drivers can't get past because of a couple of bends, so slow down and then try to accelerate past me in 3rd! They then get caught out by oncoming vehicles. Guess who they are going to choose to hit? Me or the Jewson's lorry coming the other way....
johnm liked this
By Sooty25
malcolmfrost wrote:@Sooty25 can you help with any references as to whether this has actually happened? Sunak didn't mention VED in this years budget so maybe it's been conveniently forgotten in favour of longer term road pricing which is inevitable with a reduction in fuel duty take :(

Nope, none at all, and I wouldn't mind betting that due to the need to fund covid, it may well have not happened, however, it does demonstrate intent.
By Cessna571
Charles Hunt wrote:I know I'm a bit out of touch, but is there a blanket exemption for cyclists to ignore red traffic lights, or is it just Brighton?

It’s everywhere, London is very bad for it and here in Cambridge it’s the norm.

I’ve seen Policemen get out of their way.

My cycling friends tell me as long as you don’t hit anyone it’s fine, and if someone looks like they are about to step out in front of you.. start yelling expletives and they’ll stop

(after all it’s them in the wrong for not looking properly, and if the cyclist comes off, his bike might get damaged, and who’s going to pay for that?)
Charles Hunt liked this
By Mike Tango
Cyclists who run reds or cycle through zebra crossings when they’re in use have killed innocent pedestrians when so doing.

Their actions make it far more difficult for those of us that cycle courteously to argue against routinely almost being maimed or worse by impatient and discourteous vehicle drivers.

I’d quite happily see such cyclists face significant sanctions.
Rob P, Charles Hunt, johnm and 3 others liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
While I lived and worked in Cambridge I manfully resisted the temptation to stick my umbrella through the spokes of some cyclists. I also managed to avoid killing those in dark clothes with no lights at night :roll:
townleyc liked this
By PeteSpencer
johnm wrote:While I lived and worked in Cambridge I manfully resisted the temptation to stick my umbrella through the spokes of some cyclists. I also managed to avoid killing those in dark clothes with no lights at night :roll:

When I was an undergraduate in the 1960s at Cambridge it was necessary as the saying goes to 'ride furiously' along with dozens of others the length of Regent Street /St Andrews Street to get from the Biochemistry Lecture theatre on Lensfield Road to the' Vol' in Green street at 1 oclock before they sold out of pie and beans for 1/3d (Cheapest in the city).

Peter :roll:
johnm liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Keveng wrote:When you aim for 60 ,80 or 100 mile rides you cannot keep pulling over

Why?

If I'm driving a slower vehicle over those distances I certainly keep pulling over if other vehicles want to go past.

When I commuted on my bike, I would pull over all the time going up the hill to let cars past. In fact I would only set off again when I couldn't see any cars down to the bottom.

A couple of times recently I've been in a queue following a tractor where the tractor has pulled in a lay-by to let the queues of traffic behind go past before setting off again. :thumright:

Keveng wrote:think of it this way roads are there for all to use

Exactly! And there should be one golden rule - never hold anyone up, *ever*, if you can possibly avoid it, either on a single or dual carriageway. Doesn't matter what you're riding or piloting. Be courteous to other road users.

I was in a line of cars following a cyclist on a single carriageway road yesterday on the way to Sleap. It took quite a while for the few cars in front of me to overtake him due to the twisty road and the presence of oncoming cars. Eventually I was the first car behind him. We came up to some roadworks, with single alternate line traffic. The traffic light was red. The cyclist stopped! The line of cars stopped behind. I thought it would be the ideal opportunity for him to wave the cars through before starting off....but no, as the light turned green, he set off, with the big line of cars following. I got past fairly quickly afterwards, but I can't imagine how long it took for the cars at the back of the queue to get past. This was on a 60mph road.
Kittyhawk, JAFO, Nick liked this
By malcolmfrost
That isn't good road craft IMO, at roadworks I always check behind and wave through, likewise at regular traffic lights I won't necessarily go right to the front but stay in my position in the queue unless I'm turning left. Just thinking about things and trying to avoid winding people up unnecessarily is simply self preservation! Forcing someone to overtake you again is not a good idea.
One issue for us is the advent of clipless pedals which means it's a bit of a faff to put your foot down and on narrow roads, what seems a good place to pull over may well not be when you are on 23mm of rubber.
On courtesy, it would, be really helpful if drivers actually indicated before they reach a junction rather than when they get there or not at all!
By Mike Tango
The next time one is held up for a few meaningless seconds behind a cyclist or three, and starting to feel somewhat irrationally angsty and irritated... imagine that the cyclist is actually a pilot in a light aircraft, and the vehicle driver is actually an equally irrationally angsty and irritated noise complainer.

Then just be thankfull that, for now at least anyway, the noise complainer's irrational angst and irritation isn't likely to lead the pilot being taken out of the sky to their injury or death.

A light aircraft pilot's life is worth more than being changed or ended just because someone didn't like the noise, isn't it?

Likewise, a cyclist's life is worth more than being changed or ended just because someone felt they'd been wrongly held up for a few seconds in a lifespan measured in decades.

Live and let cycle, live and let fly.
Rob P, malcolmfrost, eltonioni and 4 others liked this
By Rob P
Post Of The Month Mike

:thumleft:

Rob P
By eltonioni
rf3flyer wrote: In the UK it is illegal for cyclists to cycle more than two abreast.

No it's not.

Happy to help. :thumleft:
Rob P liked this