For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
Speed limiters mandatory in new cars from 2022

In 2022, speed limiters - which alert drivers when they're going too fast - will be mandatory in all new cars.

If the driver doesn’t slow down, the limiters will force the car will intervene.

The limiter can be overridden in some circumstances, for example if you’re overtaking.

Forgetting the slip up in the penultimate paragraph, what does this actually mean?

What is "too fast"?

The above is lifted from a Daily Mirror article, quoting confuseddotcom. I haven't followed it back to source.

Rob P
By GAFlyer4Fun
The AI will decide too fast is to go over the speed limit for the road, although the database might not agree with the physical road signs!

It will mean more cars getting stuck on hills in winter..... in the old days the driver could let the car build up momentum downhill and use the momentum to get up the hill on the other side. The nanny state car will brake downhill, so will need to use the accelerator (increased emissions/pollution contribution) uphill and some people will wheel spin and get stuck.

It will mean the AI wont let the driver accelerate to avoid a collision? The nanny state will say accelerating is not the right option anyway and should brake to reduce the impact energy in the collision. However, in my opinion acceleration should be an option for an alert driver but it means being in the correct gear to accelerate and not have a labouring engine. It seems many car drivers dont select the right gear to overtake and take a risk of a head on collision performing an overtake with a lethargic overtake manoeuvre that takes a longer distance.
Some vehicles are naturally more dynamic. Accelerating on a motorbike to avoid collision where car drivers do dumb things without looking has kept me out of A&E numerous times, obviously saving the NHS and tax payers a lot of money.
Of course modern cars have so many airbags the door pillars are so big these days it is much harder to see a cyclist or a motorcyclist or an escooter due to the bigger blind spots and the car driver over the shoulder check is obstructed.
Flyingfemme liked this
By Rob P
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:... the car driver over the shoulder check...

That's you, me and a handful of others in my experience; generally bikers.

Is the shoulder check even taught in car driving these days?

Supplementary: I see the Dutch procedure of car door opening is finding its way into the Highway Code. Good luck with that being widely adopted.

Rob P
By GAFlyer4Fun
Rob P wrote:... Is the shoulder check even taught in car driving these days?

Probably not. It's becoming impossible anyway with modern cars. It's also getting harder to see if a driver is doing it due to the proliferation of heavily tinted windows (which are probably due to the nanny state network of traffic monitoring cameras and dash cams).
Last edited by GAFlyer4Fun on Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
By GAFlyer4Fun
What about the changes advising cyclists to ride in the centre of the lane.

On some narrow roads the use of the oncoming lane by an overtaking car wont give the cyclist the space they currently enjoy if they are on the left of the lane. Arent cars supposed to give them 6ft space during an overtake in case the cyclists unexpectedly falls off towards the right, the idea being the car misses the cyclist head/body?
By JAFO
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:What about the changes advising cyclists to ride in the centre of the lane.

What do you mean, changes?

I find the country lanes full of peletons of lycraed buffoons taking up entire lanes.

Why should they be allowed to carry out their sporting activities on the public roads? If I had a kickabout on the A47 or set up a ping-pong table in the slow lane of the M6 then I'd soon find out what the authorities thought of that.

Sorry, off to take one of my tablets now.
AndyR, Kittyhawk liked this
By akg1486
Rob P wrote:
In 2022, speed limiters - which alert drivers when they're going too fast - will be mandatory in all new cars.

I had a moped scooter in Japan 25 years ago. It easily did 60 kph without modifications, but as the speed limit for mopeds was 30 kph it was equipped with a little light that flashed "speed" whenever I rode faster. So I was "alerted" most of the time. :D

It didn't cut the engine, though. I'm not sure if the alerts were mandatory, they might have been. Speed limit with mopeds was one of the very few laws that the Japanese didn't care about.
By malcolmfrost
Personally I cycle in the left hand tyre tracks which tend to be smoother, any further to the left and you are in drains, potholes, crumbly edges, gravel and broken glass. This also encourages drivers to leave more space. Drivers should leave space because of the appalling state of the roads, even a small pothole can have you off.
For anyone wondering how scary a close driveby can be, try standing on a station platform on the yellow line when a train goes past and you are facing away from it!
Pedestrians, Horse riders and cyclists have a right to be on the highway, drivers have to be licensed :D
Rob P, Nick, johnm liked this
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
riverrock wrote:

Every car I've ever driven with speed limit recognition has failed to get it right most of the time, picking up wrong signs and having old data within sat nav. How are other's experiences?

In fairness, mine is pretty good. Based on the satnav database, with camera recognition of signs taking precedence. Works fine with smart motorways, roadworks, etc ... issues I've noticed are:
- when there's a parallel access road to a dual carriageway and it picks up the signs from the access road
- roadworks that don't have speed signs at the end of them to clear the temporary speed restriction

In mine you can boot the accelerator to override it (or switch it off permanently, or set a +5mph tolerance)

I tend to use it when doing unfamiliar urban driving - too easy to get caught out in places like Leeds with ever changing and not always intuitive limits, and lots of speed cameras.
By rikur_
riverrock wrote:https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/103530/uk-set-to-adopt-eu-mandated-speed-limiters

The mandatory speed limiters will be introduced at the same time as .... data loggers, autonomous emergency braking, lane keep assist, a driver fatigue detection system, reversing sensors or cameras

I've got all of those. The one that annoys me intently is the autonomous emergency braking ...... full blown emergency stop when approaching a cattle grid, or pulling into a driveway that has a few flowers hanging over the drive, or when cutting across lanes a bit tightly in traffic. The others I've actually been pretty impressed with - the fatigue one being spookily accurate. (And the data logging one is a tad patronising to get a critique of every journey driving instructor style .... but you don't have to read it)
Rob P liked this
By PeteSpencer
My krautomobile already has a ‘dumb’ speed limiter which can only be manually set to car speedo -derived speeds in 5 mph increments , so cannot be set for accurate true/satellite derived speed limits.

Leads to irate punters up one’s chuff in speed limited areas ……

Totally useless :roll:

Beats me why, especially as the cruise
control on the same column stalk can be set to 1 mph tolerance .
By riverrock
Last car I drove with one (Volvo XC40 in Canada) often misread signs, picked up signs on side roads, there was one section of freeway which I'm guessing used to be lower limit as it complained every time I was on it, often missed the end of restriction signs, didn't differentiate when a sign was for trucks only, read a limit sign that was a sticker on back of a lorry once.
It was so bad it was laughable.
I did like you could set cruise control to the speed limit with one button and adaptive cruise control was great when sitting in traffic (would bring car to stop / get moving again in stop/ start traffic).
By JAFO
malcolmfrost wrote:Pedestrians, Horse riders and cyclists have a right to be on the highway, drivers have to be licensed :D

I absolutely agree that all of those people have a right to use the highway and think that the same rules and courtesies should apply to all legitimate road users. I just don't agree with them carrying out their sport on the road. Horse riders and pedestrians do not tend to ride or walk three or four abreast or race on the highway. It is that which I object to.

On topic for a second, I use hire cars most weeks but use my phone as a satnav. I often find that car, phone and signs in the real world conflict. Sometimes none of them agree.
Nick liked this
By Rob P
No cycle races of the sort you describe happen on UK roads unless they are closed for the event.

What you are seeing is club rides, carried out for exercise and enjoyment, not for competition.

Time trials do take place on public roads, but by their very nature don't feature bunches of riders.

Rob P
tr7v8, eltonioni liked this