For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By GAFlyer4Fun
rikur_ wrote: (And the data logging one is a tad patronising to get a critique of every journey driving instructor style .... but you don't have to read it)

It is a mine of information for incident investigators, as is the mobile phones everyone carries even if not directly interacting with them.
By JAFO
Rob P wrote:No cycle races of the sort you describe happen on UK roads unless they are closed for the event.

What you are seeing is club rides, carried out for exercise and enjoyment, not for competition.

Time trials do take place on public roads, but by their very nature don't feature bunches of riders.

Rob, you obviously know more about this than I do and, even if that does not seem to tie in with what I seem to have seen, then I bow to your knowledge.

However, my points still stand. If they are doing time trials, they are carrying out their sport on the highway. No-one else is permitted to do that. Why are they special?

If they are simply out for exercise and enjoyment then they do not need to ride in huge groups or ride three or four abreast. You do not see horse riders or rambling clubs behaving in such an ignorant, arrogant and discourteous manner to their fellow road users.
By Mike Tango
JAFO wrote:I absolutely agree that all of those people have a right to use the highway and think that the same rules and courtesies should apply to all legitimate road users. I just don't agree with them carrying out their sport on the road. Horse riders and pedestrians do not tend to ride or walk three or four abreast or race on the highway. It is that which I object to.

May I be so bold as to suggest you take up cycling, it's great for the blood pressure.
JAFO, Charles Hunt, kanga and 1 others liked this
By malcolmfrost
Are horse riders practicing their sport? Ramblers, runners? The bottom line is that too many drivers see the roads as their territory and object to the presence of others that might delay their highly important journey by a few seconds. If you were to come out for a ride one day, you would be quite shocked by the lack of skill and downright aggressive behaviour of some.
I've just spent 5 days riding around the West of England, and have to say that the vast majority of drivers have been considerate and it's been reciprocated :D
tr7v8, kanga liked this
By Rob P
JAFO wrote:However, my points still stand. If they are doing time trials, they are carrying out their sport on the highway. No-one else is permitted to do that. Why are they special?

So you've never heard of motor club rallies? Navigation tests? Economy trials? There is lots of motor sport on public roads.

JAFO wrote:If they are simply out for exercise and enjoyment then they do not need to ride in huge groups or ride three or four abreast. You do not see horse riders or rambling clubs behaving in such an ignorant, arrogant and discourteous manner to their fellow road users.

Not from a foxhunting area then I gather?

Rob P
By JAFO
Just to be clear, I ride a bike for exercise and as a method of transport.

I don't see the need to ride three or four abreast. I pull over to let other road users pass.

malcolmfrost wrote:Are horse riders practicing their sport?

Generally, no, when they are on roads they are travelling to areas where they can practice their sport.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Mrsjohnm’s SLK has a speed limiter facility on the cruise control stalk, neither of us know how to switch it on :D
By Keveng
JAFO wrote:Just to be clear, I ride a bike for exercise and as a method of transport.

I don't see the need to ride three or four abreast. I pull over to let other road users pass.

malcolmfrost wrote:Are horse riders practicing their sport?

Generally, no, when they are on roads they are travelling to areas where they can practice their sport.

When you aim for 60 ,80 or 100 mile rides you cannot keep pulling over , think of it this way roads are there for all to use , motorizsd vehicles being only one form of transport , yet a lot of car drivers believe that they have some sort of exclusive right of way , can i also throw articulated lorries into the mix , private companies using public property for private profits and causing massive damage to the very infrastructure they use.
By johnm
There are substantial numbers of inconsiderate drivers cyclists and horse riders. Irrespective of behaviour I always give cyclists and horses space and time and if there’s an inconsiderate driver behind me I increase both :twisted:
eltonioni liked this
By CloudHound
As I’ve said before cyclists can add to air pollution.

How so? Well on the narrow A roads of East Sussex at certain times of the day a lone cyclist can have a long tailback of vehicles travelling at their speed waiting for the opportunity to pass safely.

Once a gap in oncoming traffic occurs each motorist floors the gas pedal to overtake quickly and safely.

Hence carbon emissions increase around cyclists under these particular circumstances.
GAFlyer4Fun liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
A lot of UK roads are summarily unsuitable for pushbike riding.

Unfortunately a lot of those are in urbanised areas where bike journeys would be an entirely appropriate alternative to the car or public transport.

Solutions are easily and cost effectively available it is just that the will to make changes is absent.

@CloudHound :roll: :roll: :roll: Show me the evidence
kanga liked this
By JAFO
Keveng wrote:When you aim for 60 ,80 or 100 mile rides you cannot keep pulling over...

Yes you can, nobody is forcing you to aim for 60, 80 or 100 miles, it is entirely your choice. That's like saying that I am aiming to get to work on time so should not slow down if I encounter horses.

It is exactly that "I am an athlete in my lycra suit and must do 80 miles" sort of mindset that stops that kind of cyclist from being courteous to other road users. It strikes me that this type of cyclist only ever asks for courtesy and rarely if ever displays it to other road users.

I have nothing against cyclists, motorcyclists, horse riders, walkers, car drivers or HGV drivers; I only have a problem with discourtesy.
Nick, AndyR, johnm and 2 others liked this
By malcolmfrost
A4 Pacific wrote:
think of it this way roads are there for all to use

But only one group pay road tax. How kind of them.

JAFO makes a very fair point re ‘courtesy’.

For the umpteenth time there is no such thing as "Road Tax" nor has there been for many years. what you are thinking of is Vehicle Excise Duty which is levied on a sliding scale based on the pollution caused. Hence EVs and bikes don't pay any. All road building/maintenance is paid for out of the pot of general taxation. I have certainly paid my fair share!
johnm, kanga liked this