For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Irv Lee wrote:As you all know, Yorkshire Day is tomorrow, 1st August, and it is a Sunday this year so I won't be expecting your cards to arrive til Monday, but any suggestions of how I could celebrate on the day?

You could remember the good old days,

Then enjoy a afternoon flight around the county

:D :D :D
T6Harvard, Irv Lee liked this
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:Yorkshire Tea

T6Harvard wrote:Yorkshire Parkin..... :D

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds ... a-21104257
Leeds Council investigates Yorkshire Tea and Parkin cakes' links to the slave trade
By kanga
Charles Hunt wrote:..
Still a few paragraphs down you (we?) seem to have gained an extra riding.

.. the same logic (having more than 3 þriðing) may explain why in some ancient schools there are 3 'halves' (rather than 'terms') in a year, I suppose. :)

[Perhaps 'South Riding' is a takeover bid for North Lincolnshire. :wink: ISTR that RAF Finningley straddled both Counties.

In Canada, 'Riding' is the standard English word for a Federal Parliamentary 'constituency', so there are a great deal more than 3! French equivalent is officially circonscription, although comté is often used]
Charles Hunt liked this
By Irv Lee
@T6Harvard it's not just the accent that can give problems, when I started in IT, I had the problem of the Yorkshire usage of 'while' being interchangeable with "until" in "old Yorkshire speak". This meant that "Do while (x=1)" could be understood as "Do until (x=1)" if the actual context was not appreciated by those programming down the pits, but not to worry, once the pits closed, these programmers with the problem were all re-employed to code the new CAA Portal, so as far as I know, it all ended well...
By kanga
Irv Lee wrote:..the problem of the Yorkshire usage of 'while' being interchangeable with "until" in "old Yorkshire speak". .....

although not (AFAIK) an issue in coding, Brits (indeed any non-US anglophones) can find confusuing the US usage of 'through' (or 'thru' :evil: ) to mean 'until', ie ending at the value defined. Thus 'Monday through Thursday' in the US means 'Monday to and including Thursday but not later'. ISTR this US usage was not used among anglophone Canadians.

[However, mainland Canadians can get confused by the common Newfoundland inversion of the usual meanings of 'to' and 'at': a warning from a parent to a child seen in imminent danger might be "Stays where you're to until I come at you" :) ]
By PeteSpencer
I see poor old Digby, Lord Jones is getting stick for criticising the delectable Alex Scott on BBC Olympic duty for droppin' the 'g's off words ending 'ing'. (on Twitter)

(Priti Patel and Mayor Sadiq Kahn do it too.)

He's been called a snob by £1.4 million Gary Lineker, a racist by the great unwashed.

Even Stephen Fry has waded in with the 'snob ' epithet, quite forgettin' that the Jorrockses types were the archetypal 'huntin' , shootin,' fishin' brigade':

And they seem to be dyin' out............ :lol:

I suppose we should be thankful that Ms Scott doesn’t arks the athletes too many questions . :wink: