For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As you all know, Yorkshire Day is tomorrow, 1st August, and it is a Sunday this year so I won't be expecting your cards to arrive til Monday, but any suggestions of how I could celebrate on the day?
By Irv Lee
Paultheparaglider wrote:Go to the pub with a friend and let them buy you a beer. Or, better still, lunch.

I was going to cook a Sunday dinner, I have the starter recipe, Yorkshire Pudding, 1st line is "borrow an egg, plain flour, salt, milk, and dripping"
Paultheparaglider, akg1486, Dave W and 4 others liked this
By Rob P
Visit Lancashire. Take a look around and realise how wrong all that Yorkshire propaganda has been over all these years.

Apologise to the first Lancastrian you see and they will embrace you. There is more joy in the county over one unbeliever who finds the truth... etc.

Rob P
Irv Lee, kanga, JAFO and 4 others liked this
By Rob P
You're confusing Lancashire and Wales.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
Irv Lee wrote:As you all know, Yorkshire Day is tomorrow, 1st August, and it is a Sunday this year so I won't be expecting your cards to arrive til Monday, but any suggestions of how I could celebrate on the day?

Strip down and re-varnish thy clogs then tek ‘t whippet down to ‘t pub for a neece plate o’ tripe ‘n’ onions :wink:

Edit: grammar and syntax :roll:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6Harvard, gasman liked this
By Irv Lee
@PeteSpencer I know I forgot to say, so my fault, but I was hoping for something different for the one day a year, and it is a Sunday, so no clogs, but will be dubbining my boots before I go out down the ginnel tomorrow.
T6Harvard, Dave W liked this
By GAFlyer4Fun
Yorkshire pudding and cake.

Yorkshire Tea if you are not in the mood for some Yorkshire beer.

Will you have to fly to Yorkshire for the authentic stuff rather than put up with what they export darn south?

Eeeee by gum lad, decisions.
By kanga
As it's also Swiss National Day, one could find some Swiss cheese and have a 'lining up the holes' competition .. prizes including a fondue set ? :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_National_Day

[as a former Swiss then Liverpudlian now living in Gloucestershire, I reflect that the Lancastrians beat the Yorkists in the Wars of the Roses when the Welsh Henry ap Tewdwr defeated Richard, Duke of Gloucester, to become Henry VII .. :wink: ]
JAFO liked this
By Irv Lee
@GAFlyer4Fun I nearly got used to flat beer down here in the 70s, but never got used to the different ulterior motives when Southerners strike up a conversation over the pub urinals
Rob P, Dave W liked this
By Irv Lee
Rob P wrote:You're confusing Lancashire and Wales.

Rob P

Easy not to. Sheep are much wetter to the touch in Wales.
Dubbining

Never realised how "non Vegan" Dubbin is til I read Wiki. Good job we don't have vegans in Yorkshire.
Dave W liked this
By JAFO
kanga wrote:As it's also Swiss National Day

I spent 1st August 1987 in Gstaad and have very fond memories of the day and, indeed, of well into the night. So, luckily, even when I have been in Yorkshire on 1st August, I have subsequently been of a mind to celebrate Swiss National Day instead.

However, I have to admit that both are beautiful places and, in the spirit of entente cordiale between two great counties, that I have met a large number of people from Yorkshire who I liked a lot. I particularly valued their honesty when it came to any of my shortcomings that they had spotted. I find that one is never left wondering precisely what it is they think of you. I appreciate that.

So Happy Yorkshire Day.
Irv Lee, kanga, T6Harvard and 2 others liked this