For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I’m not sure that UNESCO World Heritage status is worth much any more. It, apparently, only applies if you are willing to be pickled in aspic..........Liverpool has just been kicked off the list for daring to allow new development on their waterfront. Much like English Heritage and their listings - there is no real rationale, it just “is”.
Rob P, rogerb liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Im afraid @johnm you are waaay off the mark on this one. In this particular case "cheap" wasnt an option being considered and the current proposal has been knocking about for at least 20years with the "too expensive, never happen" tag on it back in the day.

Im told by a local historian I know in wiltshire, that in WW2 there was a proposal to build a road for the military right through the middle of the stones...

Regards, SD..
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In WW1 the Station Commander of RAF Stonehenge (an enormous site, of which there is now virtually no trace) wanted to knock down the stones as a hazard to landing aircraft!

A Stonehenge bypass has been on the cards, and in an oscillating plan/enquiry/reject cycle, since well before I came to live here in 1984. The amount spent on plans, enquiries and judicial reviews would have built several tunnels by now. Yet still the traffic comes to a standhill twice a day - or all day on bank holidays. :(
Charles Hunt wrote:The trouble is, it should be a two part questionnaire.

1) Would you like Stonehenge to be better protected from passing traffic?

2) How much are you prepared to pay towards this?

I fail to see how 2 miles of tunnel can be called 'penny pinching'. Quite frankly I would be happy to see a surface road ('at grade' I think is what we civil engineers call that) perhaps half a mile offset from the current alignment, but that would still allow the lifting of the heart to the many millions of travellers who pass by and see the stones.

Failing that why not sell the stones to the US and let them build a theme park?

This area is honeycombed with ancient remains; displacement of the route to the south for instance would affect the Winterbourne Stoke area.
Bill McCarthy wrote:The Callanish stones are much more spectacular, predate Stonehenge by about a couple of thousand years yet has no World Heritage status as far as I know.

Absolutely stunning and if you go to Callanish II and look across to the main stones on the next hilltop the effect is stunning.

I always thought that Stonehenge, when seen close up, was a bit of a letdown. The same could never be said for Callanish.

The broch just up the road is quite incredible, too.
johnm, AndyR liked this
JAFO wrote:The broch just up the road is quite incredible, too.

Now, there's one of (my) life fascinations, Brochs. Every time I visit a broch I become more enthralled.

I particularly like the Glenelg Brochs. They're not complete ruins, just incomplete enough to create many a question. There's absolutely no truth in the rumour that I am influenced by the adjacent quaint brewery, in such a remote location. :wink: Although it is coincidently true I am at this time enjoying the product of said brewery.

That said I really must get up to Shetland again to visit Mousa.
JAFO, Paultheparaglider liked this