For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyingfemme wrote:I have a rule of not doing anything financial on my phone - it goes out and about too much, too easy to steal or lose. So no finacial apps are installed. Then my bank tells me that to authorise a payment I must use the mobile app..............no other way of doing it. :wall: :wall: :wall:

No fingerprint unlock?
TheFarmer liked this
By Pete L
The like button felt inappropriate but top man for fessing up on an Internet forum. I've been nearly caught twice by plausible emails.
By BobD
I'm the Treasurer for the Europa Club. I received a request for payment for services from someone trying to pass themselves off as one of our Officers. It quickly became apparent that this was a scam, so I strung them along until I got a name, sort code and account they wanted me to pay, which I then passed along to Action Fraud, the branch of the Police who deal with this type of crime. I've not yet heard if any action has been taken on my Report.

It beats me how they can evade being dealt with, when their bank details are known. Hopefully something positive will come out of this, but I'm not holding my breath.
By Propwash
A few years ago I went to an ATM at my bank and before inserting my card noticed a device used to skim card details had been attached. I looked around and easily identified the individual lurking who was taking an unnatural interest in my actions. I rang the bank security on my mobile ( it was a weekend and the branch was closed). I offered to stay on site to prevent anyone else using the ATM until the police attended to secure the device. The security declined saying it was not interested. I rang the police who showed a similar disinterest. I wrenched the device out of the ATM to the obvious annoyance of the lurker who thought about but declined to confront me. :lol: Good decision.

It is cheaper for banks to compensate for fraud than it is to tackle it.

A sad state of affairs but the world is now run by accountants. :roll:

PW
Flyin'Dutch', Aerials, kanga and 3 others liked this
By akg1486
Paul_Sengupta wrote:We had a new web portal thing sent out in work. It wasn't from a company e-mail address and the web address wasn't a company address. I ignored it.

I've since been in at least three meetings where management have been talking about this new portal. It is legit after all. How do they expect us to separate the spam from the legit...? :roll:

My company uses an external service for employee satisfaction surveys. All reminders from that service are deemed to be spam by our company's email server...
Paul_Sengupta, Flyingfemme, Pete L and 2 others liked this
By Cessna571
The new system we’ve written is undergoing penetration testing next week.

That means we pay a company who know how to, to try and hack it, break it, disable it, etc.

We then get a report of what they were able to achieve.

I must admit it does make you hyper vigilant working in IT, it also means you delete all those round robin “fun” emails.

I told my Dad I’d stop sorting out the monthly viruses on his computer, and he stopped clicking on everything and suddenly he’s not getting viruses any more!
johnm liked this
By johnm
It's really hard now. I got a call from my energy supplier out of the blue, wouldn't say what it was about and wanted the answers to "security question" so the caller was invited to Foxtrot Oscar.

Just in case I then rang them and blow me the DD for the monthly payment hadn't happened.

Mrsjohnm ordered something off ebay and got a dodgy looking delivery notification email. It took 10 mins of cross checking to determine that it was probably legit....
By Cessna571
Now I say “is this sales or is there a problem?”

That screens the sales calls for a start.

I’ve also given the wrong information in the past to see if they just write it down and carry on.

That’s a good way of doing it when you get a stroppy young lady who won’t tell you if it’s sales. “That’s not what it says here” confirms they really are looking at your account.
JAFO liked this
By PeteSpencer
A few years ago we were due to go on holiday to Italy so I dutifully rang my bank to tell em .
Oh we don’t need to be notified our security can cope’
Two weeks later I got a phone call while sitting on top of a tour bus in Florence to tell me my Debit card was being used in Florence Italy-I put them right :
But unknown to me at that very moment my cloned credit card (same Bank) was being used to scam me out of £4K goods and services ; including 2,000 euro currency from Post Office bank and a huge flat screen telly from a store in Birmingham .There was enough info on my CC statement to identify the store so I rang them and a dozy Saturday girl actually gave me the delivery address in London I gave this to bank fraud department and they were useless They said they’d register me for my protection with CIFAS -only they used the fraudulent address to register me !Not only that they sent a replacement credit card to the false address- you couldn’t make it up…..
Eventually I got most of the dosh back by personally approaching the companies involved The Post Office were brilliant.
I dumped the bank CC , and got the CIFAS address corrected and the dud card cancelled . :wink:
By T6Harvard
Flyingfemme wrote:Nothing will be done. I had a fraud on my Amex and reported the address that the fraudulently purchased item was delivered to. Nothing was done. But Amex refunded me - so that’s OK, veryone can pay.

I dealt with a fraud on my elderly friend's debit card. Started with small transactions to see if they could get away with it, they eventually emptied the account and friend rang me in a panic.
Rang Halifax and got card stopped, asked for 5 months statements to friend. Worked our way through 88 fraudulent transactions. Rang Halifax again who credited friend all the losses.
During the checks of statements I noted payments to the same takeaway in the next town, payment for car finance, and a delivery from Amazon valued at £299. Asked Halifax if they'd notify police re fraud or should we. Oh we MAY do it, it depends...

So I reported to Action Fraud, all info including enough for them to easily find crim. We even knew where crim worked because the card had been first immediately after friend booked in for a week's respite care in a care home. An easy nick then!

Action Fraud said my friend WAS NOT A VICTIM OF CRIME because Halifax had refunded.

I even argued that is akin to house insurance paying out over a burglary and Cops saying there was no crime there. Then I thought, well that's what they are doing, just, as FF says, letting us all pay for the crime and no stopping the crims.
JAFO liked this