For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Colonel Panic wrote:With most EV owners being suckered in to fitting a "smart" wall charger due to the subsidy involved, I think that it won't be long before the power companies charge more per kW used via a wall charger than they do for (true) home consumption. A bit like Day/Night rates.

To do that they’d have to access my charger.

I have off peak tariff from December, but the smart meter, so far, cannot be read from last October. ( SMets 2 fitted by my current supplier last summer.)

My smart charger meant I could send them my readings. They credited me with the savings.

Still no news re the meter working, it depends on a 3rd party getting round to it..

But I can’t see how the meter can tell what the Leckey is being used for.

Road pricing will be applied to all cars. ICE will also pay fuel tax on top.
Rob P wrote:Yes, but say it quietly and please don't be offended - It's fugly :(

Mike Tango wrote:Yes from some angles, no from others :

It’s brutal, there’s no turbos winding up or fuel needing to be briefly sucked in, it’s just 100% instant thrust.

Looks are in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure if I'd bought one I'd find an angle, squint a bit and think "that looks OK"

Turbos :lol: How eighties is that

You are talking to the original EV disciple here, ever since working the Leaf roadshow way back when. For what it does the Model 3 is totally superb and beats my old gas guzzler hands down.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Tango liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Colonel Panic wrote:Have you ever seen how easy the Tesla Model 3 is to operate? Single tap access to all of the important things like heating, aircon, wipers, lights, entertainment etc, and 2 button access to virtually everything else. If not, happy to meet up for a demo anytime.

I've had a go in a showroom, including surfing the net on the centre screen, but I wasn't immediately enamoured. I'd like to come for a trip sometime and see how you operate it in real life though!

malcolmfrost wrote:I guess you've only ever seen it fleetingly from behind :D :D

This is very true though, whenever I see one on a motorway I'm usually past within a couple of seconds, as they inevitably seem to be going a lot slower than me, presumably so they can get where they're going without having to stop to charge it again.

Turbos? I have a good collection of them between my two Jaguars!
Mike Tango wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:But I can’t see how the meter can tell what the Leckey is being used for.

There are nefarious plans afoot...

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bil ... ation.html

Also...

Government... everyone get electric cars.

Electricy grid... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

No problems charging off peak according to the grid. We’ve all gone more efficient it seems.

Cutting power to restaurants, pubs, nightclubs, theatres, shopping centres and churches in emergencies might be more acceptable. It’s been done already remember…
By Rob P
malcolmfrost wrote:"My girlfriends hot"

Lucky boy :D

Rob P
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In respect of styling there seems to be a competition on for who can design the ugliest car, I haven't seen an elegant design since the turn of the century.

There will also be a competition about who can add the most gizmos, there always is, and eventually the 80 20 rule will prevail, i.e. 80% of people will only use 20% of the facilities.

At present I'm not in the market for EV and the used car market will need to mature and prices come down before I think about it. I've never paid more than £16000 for a main car or £9000 for a second car and have no intention of starting now.

That said once MrsJohnm's 3 litre SLK reaches end of life (it's 14 this year) she thinks she would be willing to try an old lady's electric car, she doesn't actually see the irony in having driven the same Morris Minor Traveller as everyday transport for 30 years before moving to SLK's. :D
Flyingfemme liked this
Flyingfemme wrote: ... as is the way it sounds

If I am honest that is the main (sole?) reason I traded in a sensible 2.7 V6 diesel manual Jaguar for the absurd supercharged V8. :oops:

Rob P
Flyingfemme liked this