For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
@Paul_Sengupta - continue to enjoy your Jaaaag whilst others embrace & enjoy the shift in technology, ergonomics and GUIs. Have you ever seen how easy the Tesla Model 3 is to operate? Single tap access to all of the important things like heating, aircon, wipers, lights, entertainment etc, and 2 button access to virtually everything else. If not, happy to meet up for a demo anytime.
By Rob P
Colonel Panic wrote:Have you ever seen how easy the Tesla Model 3 is to operate?

Yes, but say it quietly and please don't be offended - It's fugly :(

Rob P
Rob P wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Have you ever seen how easy the Tesla Model 3 is to operate?

Rob P

I guess you've only ever seen it fleetingly from behind :D :D
By Rob P
malcolmfrost wrote:I guess you've only ever seen it fleetingly from behind :D :D

Joking apart, that is one of its better angles.

Oddly the published 0-62 for both the Model 3 and my own car are identical, though the EV runs out of steam at 140mph whilst I could (but never do) soar on to the electronically limited 155 mph

[/toptrumps]
By Rob P
No idea. I don't think those figures were used much pre-EV

Rob P
By kanga
Paul_Sengupta wrote:..

Yes, but they've invented ergonomics since then.

or rather, they've invented a word for what used to be called 'Industrial Psychology' (for which Cambridge used to have a Department or at least a Readership*, IIRC), and applied the pertinent science to many new fields including in-vehicle displays. ..

[and, yes, I do remember the central round instrument cluster in the early Mini .. :) ]

* products on whose design the Cambridge team were consulted included the 7-sided 50p coin and its successors; and the (beautiful and easy to use) colours, controls and displays of the (brilliant, Wadley loop) Racal 17 HF receiver

https://www.electronics-notes.com/image ... sgb-01.jpg
By Rob P
Jim Jones wrote: Autocar and Motor mags used to assess this aspect. Yours must be in their archives

I had a cursory look but couldn't track these archives down.

Rob P
By Propwash
I wonder if anyone is brave enough to predict, as the take up of EVs grows, how long the Road Tax exemption will last? As the potential tax base is seen to expand by chancellors it will become an irresistible target like everything else that is popular. :(

It is interesting, though, to see how many new build properties are now fitting EV charging points as part of the build. We have been considering a move to be nearer to family for a while now and viewing properties online in areas under consideration have noticed a definite increase over the last year or so.

PW
Thought I'd seen a figure of £785 as RFL to be levied on EV's at some point - fuel duty and the VAT on fuel duty has got to be recovered some way or other (also heard about increases in electricity for the same reason).
With most EV owners being suckered in to fitting a "smart" wall charger due to the subsidy involved, I think that it won't be long before the power companies charge more per kW used via a wall charger than they do for (true) home consumption. A bit like Day/Night rates.
Rob P wrote:

Yes from some angles, no from others :D

My Model 3 Performance does 0-60mph in 3.1 secs. Which in itself is way fast enough, but what got me was how it does it. It’s brutal, there’s no turbos winding up or fuel needing to be briefly sucked in, it’s just 100% instant thrust. You feel it physically in a way I’d never experienced anything acceleration wise quite like before.

Not even opening the throttle in a PA28 :P
Rob P liked this