For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Peter Gristwood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've a couple of GoPro Hero 7 cameras thanks to generous relatives but am tearing my hair our trying to film flights.

Sometimes they work perfectly and the results are good. Other times they stop for no particular reason

Over the weekend I had pathetic results which might be due to overheating. One on the dashboard stopped after 6 minutes, the in-cabin camera about 20 minutes. The latter did restart but only for a few minutes.

I was using Anker external battery packs to make up for the pathetic internal batteries.

For those GoPro expert users out there, how do you guys manage?
By JAFO
Obviously they've downgraded them over the years as I still have 3 GoPro Hero3+ cameras and have never had a problem with them nor with battery life.

Sorry I can't help with your problem ,sounds frustrating.
By riverrock
I read elsewhere that the hot temperature cut off is 50degC / 125degF internal temperature.
High external temperature plus direct sun plus working hard can likely hit that.
No personal experience though - I don't own one.
By PeteSpencer
My Gopro HeroBlack 5 doesn't cut out:

My main problem is knowing when the voice activated on/off has worked as I can't hear the indicator beeps nor can I see the front or back screens as it's fixed to the cabin rooflight lens dome adjacent to my right earhole :roll:

And my controlling iPhone seems to run out before the GoPro does......................
By skydriller
Peter Gristwood wrote:I've a couple of GoPro Hero 7 cameras thanks to generous relatives but am tearing my hair our trying to film flights.

Sometimes they work perfectly and the results are good. Other times they stop for no particular reason

Over the weekend I had pathetic results which might be due to overheating. One on the dashboard stopped after 6 minutes, the in-cabin camera about 20 minutes

Ive had a similar problem on some flights with GP7 - usually where the thing is on a wing so you dont know until after the event, and then it functions as if nothing was wrong... Looking back one or two events might be heat related, but a couple occurred at 5000ft so I doubt its that.

Regards, SD..