For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Thanks, MT :thumright: , that was stunning (anyone else notice the lightning at about 1:37?)

I find it astounding how they used the slingshot method to gain energy (especially since the technology learned was with slide rules in the Mercury & Apollo days...long before computers as we now know them).
stevelup wrote:They just wrapped the photo onto a completely smooth sphere.

Ganymede is a very smooth sphere, with an icy crust on top of a liquid ocean.

stevelup wrote: I don't want to sound like 'that guy'

I fear that ship may have already sailed! :D

stevelup wrote:but I could have done better myself...

You can get a lot of the images here: https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junoca ... featured=1

Look forward to seeing something special very soon! :thumright:
PeteSpencer, Mike Tango liked this
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
No, sorry. Look between 23 and 33 seconds. See the huge amount of texture on the surface?

Now look at the top of the screen where the curved surface meets space.

Ganymede is far from totally smooth - there are surface undulations and craters hundreds of metres in depth.

I can't help noticing stuff like this - makes me very irritating...
I thought it looks like an animation too, or at the very least hugely enhanced, like all those fantastic backlit Horsehead Nebula images that we drool over. The music is a bit try hard and it worked better for me with the sound muted.

That said, it's a really fabulous little film that really packs a punch. Not quite Pale Blue Dot levels of punch, but it certainly gives an inkling of the scale and grandeur of what's out there.

The question remains - where are They? :alien: :alien: :alien:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
eltonioni wrote:I thought it looks like an animation too

I think the clue is that the first credit is naming the person who did the animation.

Indeed...

On June 7, 2021, NASA’s Juno spacecraft flew closer to Jupiter’s ice-encrusted moon Ganymede than any spacecraft in more than two decades. Less than a day later, Juno made its 34th flyby of Jupiter. This animation provides a “starship captain” point of view of each flyby. For both worlds, JunoCam images were orthographically projected onto a digital sphere and used to create the flyby animation. Synthetic frames were added to provide views of approach and departure for both Ganymede and Jupiter.

Visit http://www.nasa.gov/juno & http://missionjuno.swri.edu to learn more.

Animation: Koji Kuramura, Gerald Eichstädt, Mike Stetson
Music: Vangelis
Producer: Scott J. Bolton
Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/SwRI/MSSS

I find it quietly amusing that we've gone from a time of Galileo being ostracised to a time of arguing about the quality of imaging following a close flyby of a spacecraft past an object some 365 million miles away.
kanga, eltonioni liked this