For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
I have received a form from DVLA to renew my driving licence which expires in August.

For the chronologically challenged there is even a dedicated online system set up at http://www.gov.uk.wrinkly licence renewal (or similar)

It was only about seven or eight screen, fewer than some airfields require for an engine health flight.

But you need to dig out things like passport number, NI number and all that good stuff.

Then you get to the final screen and it gives you the following

:wall: :evil: :furious: :doh: :thumbdown:

Rob P
By Rob P
I normally just send one of John Bentley's PR shots.

The current one was submitted at renewal three years back. Just how fast do they think I'm falling to pieces?

And I know it says my current licence is out of date! When did August 2021 come before July 2021? :furious: :furious: :furious:

Rob P
By Propwash
I seem to recall a similar problem when I tried to renew just before my 70th birthday. I supplied all my passport data and so on but still had to download a form and apply by post with a photograph. The bizarre thing is that when I received it (quite quickly from memory) the photograph they had used was from my passport not the one I supplied. :roll:

Haven't had to renew again yet so no idea what that will entail, but as the passport photo was only a few months old when they used it, I am hoping they will accept it as still a good enough likeness.

Bloody age discrimination is what it is. :wink:

PW
Try renewing a shotgun certificate....

Back in April a text message arrives on my mobile phone from a withheld number with msg content 'SC renewal - followed by a non obvious web link' - which I ignored (born at night, but not last night thinks I).

Several weeks on, the same message arrives a second time - and was duly ignored once again.

Some more weeks pass and I receive a phone call from the police firearms section admin officer to grumpily warn me that my licence was expiring and no renewal application had been received (it is actually due for renewal in September 2021) - at which point I twigg the 'SC renewal' messages relevance. So I ask the person calling if they would respond to such a message and they reply, 'Certainly not - but it is the system in use now'.

Anyway, the renewal process is a delightful voyage back into the 19th century, whereby one acquires a renewal application form, fills it out and signs in pen (real signature required) before sending it, along with up-to-date mugshot pictures and a cheque (remember those?) to Police HQ.

A second form is to be sent to the applicant's GP surgery (again by post - real signature required), authorising the GP to release medical records to the police. Payment to be made to the surgery, you've guessed it, by cheque....

A relaxing few weeks pass before an interview (phone interview only now, due Covid) with a firearms section officer is arranged and successfully navigated and I am informed that renewal is approved, subject to final checks.

Not sure what the final checks are but they are presumably duly carried out and the newly issued 'SC' landed on my doormat yesterday ..... with an incorrect address on it! :roll:
Rob P, skydriller liked this
By Rob P
tr7v8 wrote:That reads that your passport is out of date, hence not a valid picture?

No. Renewed back in 2019

Rob P
By Rob P
@Jim Jones

You must fill in an "Application for a lorry or bus licence (D2) and provide a medical examination report (D4) filled in by a doctor or optician.

www.gov.uk/dvlaforms.

Good luck with that going on my current experience

Rob P
Jim Jones liked this
Just spoken to the the DVLA medical dept about my Dad's renewal. He only gets 12 months and needs a GP report every year. It ran out in February. Doc confirmed that he sent in the form with approval. Dad cannot drive and Mum is disabled - they have no live in carer or social care.
DVLA will not speak to me because my LPA is not on their files. I tell them about the wonderful government system where they can access the details online and be sure they are valid. "We don't use that". So I have to print a copy (15 pages) and post it. They will give no timescale (at all) for getting back to me.
Are they related to the CAA?
seanxair liked this