For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By eltonioni
@riverrock it doesn't apply, she literally doesn't have a license to extend at the moment. It hasn't expired, she was banned so she has to reapply and doesn't have a license until the new one is in place.

AIUI, they haven't even opened the envelope and cashed the cheque yet because of WFH and strikes.
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
FWIW, I received my Photo Card Driving Licence in the post this morning, having filled in the application online (and linking my recently renewed passport to it for photo purposes) on August 11th, so not quite 7 weeks.

I only had a paper one before, which was fine, except that I was sick of having to keep my passport with me for flying.
By TravellerBob
eltonioni wrote:It hasn't expired, she was banned so she has to reapply and doesn't have a license until the new one is in place.

Can she can drive an HGV and has ADR? If not there's no petrol* so she can't go anywhere anyway.

* not a fact; a bbc lie.
By riverrock
eltonioni wrote:@riverrock it doesn't apply, she literally doesn't have a license to extend at the moment. It hasn't expired, she was banned so she has to reapply and doesn't have a license until the new one is in place.

AIUI, they haven't even opened the envelope and cashed the cheque yet because of WFH and strikes.

Its not about extending a licence. Am I missing something?

Read that doc or https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/88
Unless the disqualification was for a high risk offender (Section 88, Para 2A), she previously held a licence (Section 88 Para (1) (a ) ) , she has made an application (Para (1) (b) and is not currently disqualified (Para (1A)(b)(i)) then she can drive. Whether she can get insurance or not is a different question!

She must previously have had a licence, or she wouldn't be banned under the totting up procedure.
By eltonioni
Thanks @riverrock, I think the issue here is that DVLA haven't "received" her application because the envelope hasn't even been opened. As such she's still marked as a disqualified driver on their website.
You were disqualified until 3 Sep 2021 - you can now apply to renew your licence
She's been told categorically by DVLA that she can't drive until they say so. I'll have a word, maybe she's been given duff advice.
By Rob P
I took the trouble to look out my proof of posting, enter the tracking number on the Royal Mail website and find it was signed for in Swansea on 1st August. Yet I still haven't received email confirmation of its receipt, so technically I can't drive under Section 88.

You can probably guess, I will continue driving.

Rob P
Charles Hunt liked this
By nallen
Rob P wrote:All very well, but where is dog licencing run from?

(cough) licensing
kanga liked this
By Milty
I had a similar issue. Just a 10 year expiry. Web application didn’t work in the same way that you described. I had to take the letter I received and my license to a post office where the chap told me he’s been doing loads recently as the system is bow locks. I thought it was an interesting customer service term but given I’d said the same several times during failed online attempts, I commended him for empathising so well. I sat in his photo booth and 2 days later, the new license arrived.

My Dad is also stuck in the DVLA system. A few months ago, he had a small stroke (no smutty puns please). He’s lost a bit of peripheral vision but a Specsavers test confirm he’s within limits. DVLA are asking his doctor to confirm he’s medically fit to drive. Doctor refusing to confirm as it’s not his place to decide due to eyesight issue and ticking a box saying eyesight not sufficient. Now stuck in a loop of DVLA being confused as Specsavers test says sight acceptable but doc says it’s not. Very frustrating for both parents as not able to drive and getting more and more cheesed off about it. Seemingly impossible to get anyone sensible to break the deadlock. Been going on for 5 months so far.

Just thought I’d fuel the rant.
Rob P liked this