For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've just reached the end of my photocard expiry (plus 11 months). Process was painless online and it says its taken my passport photo (my passport is 7 years old). Photos are supposed to last 10 years I think?

We'll see how quickly it arrives on my doormat.

It says you're supposed to cut up the old one and post it back. Does anyone ever bother to do that? They very cleverly didn't provide an address, although I'm sure I could look one up.
By Jim Jones
Looking through the paperwork for renewal age 70 retaining D1 privileges (that took over a week to arrive).
I’m aware of delays of 12 weeks are likely in turnaround, so want to get things rolling well before expiry date of Jan 27th

However, they want the medical /eye exam to be done no more than 56 days prior to renewal then sent to them, and if the expiry date passes that’s tough, no D1…

I’d phone, but they’ve got delays….

:scratch:
By johnm
The complaints department proved effective when I had issues like this google DVLA complaints department
Jim Jones liked this
By Rob P
Just a note that two and a bit months later I am still sectioned.

Er... Driving under Section 88 that is.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By TravellerBob
Rob P wrote:Just a note that two and a bit months later I am still sectioned.

Er... Driving under Section 88 that is.

Rob P

This is what happens when you decentralise core services to places where local health is a devolved matter - England held hostage by Welsh ineptitude.

If DVLA were in England this would not be an issue now.
By riverrock
TravellerBob wrote:This is what happens when you decentralise core services to places where local health is a devolved matter - England held hostage by Welsh ineptitude.

If DVLA were in England this would not be an issue now.

Trolling? There are unions in England too and distancing in offices is still the recommendation.

I hope they decentralise the CAA service center, so for all simple admin it gets processed within 5 days too, and as you can still drive ( etc) when they are processing the apps, few are missing out. They should move almost all civil service roles outside London.
By Rob P
I don't give a toss where they are drinking their tea. I'd just rather one of them had acknowledged, sometime in the last couple of months, that they have received my licence.

Only sent to them because of an acknowledged problem with their online systems.

Rob P
By TravellerBob
riverrock wrote:There are unions in England too and distancing in offices is still the recommendation.

Which England-based agency, excluding the CAA which is hopeless wherever it is, is as bad as DVLA?

Imagine if Benefits Agency were as garbage at giving taxpayer money away as DVLA are at everything they do? The bbc et al. would be whining on and on every day.

Nah, the DVLA is rubbish and being so far away from their main customer base is ridiculous - at least the CAA are near their main paying customers. It should be in England.
By eltonioni
Rob P wrote:I don't give a toss where they are drinking their tea. I'd just rather one of them had acknowledged, sometime in the last couple of months, that they have received my licence.

Only sent to them because of an acknowledged problem with their online systems.

Rob P

A family member ended their 6 month automatic totting up ban on 4 September. Still no sign of their license so they can't drive. They are still banned even though the court order has expired.

Surely these delays must be illegal as they effectively extend bans imposed by courts without legal process. Again, as with Covid, where are the public interest lawyers when there's actually a thing that needs doing for the public that's not just doing party politics through the courts.
By TravellerBob
eltonioni wrote:They are still banned even though the court order has expired.

Is that actually true?

Having a valid licence doesn't necessitate you having it on your person at all times [yet].

Have "they" looked online on the DVLA Licence Check website thingy.
(Apols for the technical jargon)
By riverrock
eltonioni wrote:A family member ended their 6 month automatic totting up ban on 4 September. Still no sign of their license so they can't drive. They are still banned even though the court order has expired.

Unless they were a "high risk offender" I believe they can drive under section 88 if their application is in the system?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -with-dvla
By eltonioni
@riverrock sadly no, it's just an old fashioned totting up automatic ban so it's not expired, it's withdrawn and has to be reapplied for. DVLA confirmed that until the licence is issued she can't drive and they have just started processing applications made in July. ISTR that she applied as soon she could in mid July so it's still a little while away.

@TravellerBob yes, she showed me the DVLA screen that she checks daily to see if she's back in. It says that she can now apply even though she has already done so a couple of months ago.