For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
The Good Friday agreement was established before the prospect of Brexit was even imagined so its context assumed the single market on the island of Ireland. It is quite tricky with that context removed, so most folk accept that a hard border makes the spirit of the agreement pretty much impossible and that is the view held in Washington
kanga liked this
riverrock wrote:indeed - although there is some nuance:
https://factcheckni.org/topics/peace/do ... -barriers/

I accept that there is room for some interpretation on intent, but the statement by @johnm was wrong in fact, and because it is in such common currency, needs to be challenged.

I can understand why Unionists in the Province feel abandoned and short changed.

On topic, I wonder who will be nominated to light that bonfire. :pale:

PW
Did you know, the community group that organises creation of that bonfire each year cancelled it last year, as community was struggling, and gave all money fundraised back to the community to support during Covid.
They also organised the upgrade of community facilities ( play park, AstroTurf pitch and flood lights) and many other things.
riverrock wrote:Did you know, the community group that organises creation of that bonfire each year cancelled it last year, as community was struggling, and gave all money fundraised back to the community to support during Covid.
They also organised the upgrade of community facilities ( play park, AstroTurf pitch and flood lights) and many other things.

Admirable I’m sure. Just a shame the same community feels the need to have these Eleventh Night bonfires in the first place, bearing in mind who may be controlling them and the repugnant symbolism of what is often placed on them as they burn.
Last edited by Mike Tango on Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the mainland, we still have an annual bonfire with a papist on top.

It beats actually torturing and killing left footers (or the other lot) so maybe should start to see it as a long term cultural tradition. H&S notwithstanding, perhaps in the future we'll have one with Jean Monnet and Ted Heath up there as well. :lol:
townleyc liked this
riverrock wrote:
Mike Tango wrote:Yup, it’s hilarious all the way to the point where people in this day and age are still killing each other over it.

Northern Ireland murder rate is lower than London and many other parts of the UK.

Perhaps we should all build bonfires.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/985 ... e-rate-uk/ :twisted:

Fine, that obviously makes the reason why these bonfires are built, who is behind building many of them and the repugnant symbolism they contain, represent, perpetuate and encourage all sweetness and light then.

One day as a species we’ll grow up and out if it, sadly not any time soon though.
seanxair, johnm, Flyin'Dutch' and 1 others liked this
When things are promised and sold with much fanfare and within 6 months those promises are thrown on the pyre people are going to be upset.

When those upset people live on a powder keg that upset will cause an explosion.

There will be more awakening over broken promises in the near future. It will not be pretty. There is only so long that you can claim that 1 + 1 = infinity and people will believe it.

Axioms are incontrovertible facts; realities of real life.

Having a border between two areas with different regulatory and tax systems is one of those axioms.

This will remain messy for some time, but ultimately, when it is not sorted out by politicians, mother nature will.

I feel very sorry for the pain and suffering which will be endured by those affected locally. Real people.
Paultheparaglider wrote:My money is on that happening first. :wink:

My money is on our species becoming extinct within a time period that is so insignificant in the 5 billion year scale, it is the equivalent of tomorrow. :wink:

Let's all respectively enjoy our time while we can. :thumright:
Cessna571, mick w, Charles Hunt and 1 others liked this