For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
It's part of the culture of a significant part of the population of N. Ireland, celebrating their history. As an aside- Northern Ireland is celebrating its centenary this year.

The bigger bonfires need security not just to stop them being lit prematurely but also to stop kids playing around them and animals nesting. So they are risk assessed...

If you respect one culture, you need to respect all. The problems come when it becomes antagonistic (all sides).

(I'm part of one of the families who normally got out of N. Ireland that week, but doesn't mean I shouldn't respect their right to celebrate / commemorate a piece of history)
I wonder if they will burn that from the top down or the bottom up.
If bottom up I can imagine it toppling and spreading burning debris unpredictably across that little park.

I think I'd be concerned if I lived there. At the very least I would anticipate having to strip and redo blistered paint from my front door and windows but those with uPVC fittings might have bigger worrys.

I can't quite decide if there are mixed messages at the top. As this is a loyalist celebration I get that the IRA is to be imolated, but the EU and BREXIT?
CloudHound wrote:It’s a Vanity project :thumright:

Bonfire……gettit?

In the circumstances, some people may find such humour unpalletable.
rf3flyer wrote:I wonder if they will burn that from the top down or the bottom up.
If bottom up I can imagine it toppling and spreading burning debris unpredictably across that little park.

I think I'd be concerned if I lived there. At the very least I would anticipate having to strip and redo blistered paint from my front door and windows but those with uPVC fittings might have bigger worrys.

I can't quite decide if there are mixed messages at the top. As this is a loyalist celebration I get that the IRA is to be imolated, but the EU and BREXIT?

Top down in 2019:
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/vide ... 05334.html

Its in a pretty large park and there have been bonfires there for years.

People in N. Ireland feel they have hugely let down by the UK gov creating a customs border between Great Britain and N. Ireland.
rf3flyer liked this
akg1486 wrote:It's been 331 years since that battle. They can really hold a grudge.

Mere amateurs when compared to the Scots. The song "Flower of Scotland", now the nation's sporting anthem, was written in the 1960s and celebrates a victory over the English in 1314!

Mind you, there isn't a more recent one for them to hark back to. :wink:

PW
townleyc liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
HMG had two invidious choices a hard border on the island of Ireland in breach of the Good Friday agreement and p155 off the Americans or a soft border in the Irish Sea and p155 off the DUP. Given the “deal “ no other options were or are available.

As to the symbols as it’s a loyalist celebration it’s clearly got to be everyone else’s fault :D :lol:
johnm wrote:HMG had two invidious choices a hard border on the island of Ireland in breach of the Good Friday agreement . . . . .. . .

Without straying into politics, but as a matter of interest only, I keep hearing people say this. Could you point me to the specific clause within the Good Friday Agreement which actually stipulates no border on the island of Ireland?

There is a clause which prohibits any change to the constitutional position of NI without the expressed consent of its people. I would have thought a customs border between GB and NI would have fallen foul of that, but a border between it and a foreign state not so much.

PW
Mike Tango wrote:I would have titled the thread 'Bonfire of the Sanities'.

If I close my eyes I can just picture Ian Paisley at the bottom with a gallon of petrol in one hand, flaming torch in the other shouting 'Burn the papist idolators....' :roll:
Mike Tango, Flyingfemme liked this
johnm wrote:HMG had two invidious choices a hard border on the island of Ireland in breach of the Good Friday agreement and p155 off the Americans or a soft border in the Irish Sea and p155 off the DUP. Given the “deal “ no other options were or are available.

straying into the Brexit thread - Mr J promised the DUP something different (it was along the lines of any goods not travelling onward from NI could use UK rules) but after EU and Rep of I pushed back, Mr J agreed the current state with the EU, where you can't send certain goods from Great Britain to NI (and others need extra paperwork), which is a bit of a joke considering they are entirely within the UK.

People in NI now think of themselves as second class citizens in the UK as loads of companies now refuse to deliver goods. My sister tried to get a part for her breast pump (UK manufactured) but no way to order it.
Propwash wrote:
johnm wrote:HMG had two invidious choices a hard border on the island of Ireland in breach of the Good Friday agreement . . . . .. . .

Without straying into politics, but as a matter of interest only, I keep hearing people say this. Could you point me to the specific clause within the Good Friday Agreement which actually stipulates no border on the island of Ireland?

There is a clause which prohibits any change to the constitutional position of NI without the expressed consent of its people. I would have thought a customs border between GB and NI would have fallen foul of that, but a border between it and a foreign state not so much.

PW

indeed - although there is some nuance:
https://factcheckni.org/topics/peace/do ... -barriers/