For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I watched a very balanced news report the other day, where they showed the bonfires “the other side” build, and what they put on top of theirs.

They interviewed bonfire builders, including one of the builders of this one, questioning him about what goes on top.

He was amazingly calm, unapologetic and kind of just said “it’s part of life here, on both sides, any more questions?”

I watched a documentary the other day, I grew up in England in the 70’s and still had no idea that the Irish problem was an all out civil war. A proper all out civil war, the footage is almost unbelievable if you’ve never experienced it yourself.

Anyway, back to the bonfire, they’ll light the bottom first right? and it’s a wooden stack, the bottom will burn out before the top? I reckon it’s going to be one hell of a mess when it falls in on itself.

It’s going to be quite an experiment, I presume it’s the biggest ever built?
The troubles have been going on for ever : My great grandfather on my mother’s side was a government official in Dublin who opened his front door once to a coupla IRA ( or whatever they were called then) members in the early 1900s , who invited him and his family to leave Ireland and gave him a week to do so .

They left: And moved to Salford …..Which wasn’t deemed far enough to discount a possible return to Ireland.

Another knock on the door and the family ended up in Plymouth :(
Cessna571 wrote:
Anyway, back to the bonfire, they’ll light the bottom first right? and it’s a wooden stack, the bottom will burn out before the top? I reckon it’s going to be one hell of a mess when it falls in on itself.

It’s going to be quite an experiment, I presume it’s the biggest ever built?

Videos from previous years suggest they light the top first. They are a bit cagey on how! However the world's media will be in attendance so there should be plenty of videos this year.

Not a world record - they say they are going to try for that next year. It had a bit of the leans during the build, which they have now pretty much straighted, but it meant not going for the record. It is the tallest ever in Northern Ireland, towering over local houses. If the night is clear, it should be visible from Scotland.
Thanks for asking.

Well , i had a stroke on 6th April and had a brain-bleed, so they had to drain the lower R.H. Cerrebellum?

Left me a bit wobbly on my feet but otherwise a remarkably good recovery. Eldest son rescued me from stroke-recovery unit at Fairfield (Bury) on 13 May. mid June, I had a home-visit by a lady from the stroke team. and passed her written test and jumped through various other hoops, however, she phoned a month later to say I must report to DVLA and still cannot drive.....bugger, that cramps my style more than a little.
Needless to say ,I have not been flying since. (yes, i found a masochist but he's not stupid! )
Bloody year is flying by and they insist on treating me like a geriatric cripple! :eye:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this