For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
My facebook feed shows plenty of plug in photosticks, but they're all priced and dollars and with addresses in .io wherever that is. If they work as advertised I can get rid of a desktop setup in the corner which would be a great help.

Any experience/recommendations? Suppliers as well as the kit.

Also seen a Kodak slide converter where you just feed the slides through one at a time which could create a lot of space under the bed.

Same question really.

Many thanks in advance.
If I read your post correctly, you are asking about storage of photos? I use a small USB device called Picture Keeper (you can Google it for the links). It works exactly as advertised and copies all the images it finds on the PC. When one is full the next one simply takes over where the old one left off. My current one is 16GB but they come in a variety of sizes. I would recommend it. I paid in Sterling.

I bought a slide/negative converter from Lidl a couple of years ago. As with everything else I have obtained from there it works brilliantly and is easy to use. It does, however, consume a lot of time if you have many to do and I soon decided to strictly limit the ones I converted to the best or most favoured.

PW
By Rob P
Propwash wrote:My current one is 16GB but they come in a variety of sizes. I would recommend it.

I just checked my current Pictures folder and there's 277Gb of images there.

Luckily BT give me oodles of cloud storage as part of the package :thumleft:

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Rob P wrote:
Propwash wrote:My current one is 16GB but they come in a variety of sizes. I would recommend it.

I just checked my current Pictures folder and there's 277Gb of images there.

Luckily BT give me oodles of cloud storage as part of the package :thumleft:

Rob P

Indeed, and I also use 2 different cloud storages for photos and 2 separate external hard drives.

But that wasn't the question Charles was asking. :wink:

PW
Rob P liked this
Paul_Sengupta wrote:But please don't throw the slides out, they're a physical record for future generations.

... and, I believe, they store the image at a much higher resolution and colour depth than all but the most expensive digital cameras (depending on the camera, lens, and film you used originally and how they've been stored)

Computer files are much easier to index and search through than slides, however, so maybe scan for quick reference and keep the original for archive.

PS. I use a CanonScan 4400F which is probably quite dated and slow, but it does pick out lots of detail if you give it time and can scan quite quickly if all you want is a reference image.
PPS. Just started a test at full 9600dpi resolution and it warns me that it'll take 10 minutes to scan and produce a 315MB file, so that's a gigabyte and half an hour to scan three frames. I don't know yet if my computer will cope. I suspect that isn't @Charles Hunt 's intention.
By kanga
Last year I acquired a 'DIGITNOW! F22MP 126KPK' digital converter for slides and negatives, but have used it only for slides. I think it was among the cheapest but reasonably reviewed one with the right functionality available via mailorder at the time.

It's a bit tedious in that each slide has to be fed in separately in what amounts to several separate physical actions, and it has limited internal storage so it turned out to be prudent to upload each image to a laptop via the (supplied) cable (which can also power the device, which is handy). But I did manage to create some .ppt talks for JAM colleagues using Zoom during lockdown, with the images at least 'adequate' from slides created from a cheapish 35mm film camera in the 1960s.

It should have prompted me to throw out some of the poorer or duplicated images from my boxfuls of slides, now that they're 'safely' digitised. But it hasn't .. :roll: