For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob L
There's tennis on BBC1, tennis on BBC2 (both to whom I'm paying a fee) and some other stupid game on ITV involving severely overpaid poofs in shorts falling over.

What's the point of one having a television if like me, one has no interest in wall-to-wall sport coverage yet the main three channels show sport? :(

Is there a coercive effort between the BBC & ITV to hold sporting events at the same time?
tr7v8, Nick, Grelly and 1 others liked this
By Jim Jones
As well as grown ups hitting a ball across a net, we’ll soon have grown men hitting a ball through a park using sticks, to try to get it in a little hole in a lawn.
By Sooty25
Guilty of poor performance in some cases, but as the Olympics isn't in London, funding is down and has had to be stretched over an extra year due to the Covid delay.

We can excel, but not on the cheap!
By kanga
Rob L wrote:..the main three channels show sport? :(

Is there a coercive effort between the BBC & ITV to hold sporting events at the same time?

Fortunately, there are now more than 3 channels legally watchable for no more than the licence fee. I have no interest in any sport, but there's plenty else available on Freeview and on free streaming.
If your TV has a spare HDMI socket, I strongly recommend a NOW stick.

Plug it in, switch on the power, then find the router in the on-screen list and set it up via their website.....

Currently I get all the Sky Movies, plus the grown up general interest channels for about £12 per month.

F1 quallies on Sky One at 17:00-18:45, then the race highlights tomorrow at 18:00-19:00.....

Another toy I have plugged into the other HDMI socket is a Panasonic-DMR-HWT150EB Smart Recorder for catch up TV, YouTube and Amazon Prime. Excellent little device!!
Spooky liked this
By Rob L
nickwilcock wrote:If your TV has a spare HDMI socket, I strongly recommend a NOW stick.

Plug it in, switch on the power, then find the router in the on-screen list and set it up via their website.....

Currently I get all the Sky Movies, plus the grown up general interest channels for about £12 per month.

F1 quallies on Sky One at 17:00-18:45, then the race highlights tomorrow at 18:00-19:00.....

Another toy I have plugged into the other HDMI socket is a Panasonic-DMR-HWT150EB Smart Recorder for catch up TV, YouTube and Amazon Prime. Excellent little device!!

I got lost after "TV" and "F1 quallies". :shock:

I also don't need Sky Movies.
If you're not interested in alternatives to BBC/ITV sport overkill, that's up to you.

Freeview offers some alternatives, but catch up and services such as iPlayer are even better.

Why complain about BBC/ITV sport overkill if you're not interested in other options though?
kanga liked this
By Rob L
nickwilcock wrote:....snip...
Why complain about BBC/ITV sport overkill if you're not interested in other options though?

Because I'm forced to pay a BBC Licence fee to watch sporting cr@p for 2-3 weeks which don't wish to watch.
I could not give two hoots about tennis or football or golf or rugby. I have no issue about them being shown; but why are so many events shown at the same time occupying all the mainstream channels?

It's enough to make you take up flying & bust airspace to make fresh news. :|
flybymike liked this
By chevvron
TheKentishFledgling wrote:Also a superb resource called the BBC iPlayer.

IF you go through all the rigmarole of accessing then keeping it accessed rather than pressing a single button.
I've tried to access BBC iPlayer on several occasions and and found it keeps either dropping out or simply not working and having to re start the procedure.