For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
TheKentishFledgling wrote:Also a superb resource called the BBC iPlayer.

chevvron wrote:IF you go through all the rigmarole of accessing then keeping it accessed

I can't recall ever having any particular issues using BBC iPlayer. There have been one or two glitches with ITV Hub though.

Rob P
kanga liked this
By lobstaboy
It's true though, that when all we had was live TV they did manage to keep one or two free of sport. They don't need to do that now because nobody (well almost nobody) watches live TV - so putting sport on in real time makes sense.

I would urge @Rob L at least to try Freeview. It's free! And does have some gems like TalkingPictures TV which shows only films from yonks ago and 70s and 80s drama/comedy serials. All very nostalgic for those old enough to remember them (dull as ditchwater for anyone under 50).
By tcc1000
chevvron wrote:
TheKentishFledgling wrote:Also a superb resource called the BBC iPlayer.

IF you go through all the rigmarole of accessing then keeping it accessed rather than pressing a single button.
I've tried to access BBC iPlayer on several occasions and and found it keeps either dropping out or simply not working and having to re start the procedure.

For me iPlayer if 2 button presses (Home and OK on Roku stick), if iPlayer was the last think I used on it. If it wasn't, there are a couple of arrow keys in there. That's about the same as changing channels from channel 4 to BBC1 (Guide, up, up, up, OK or 3 x CH-) Going from HD to non-HD channels is more unless you can remember the channel numbers and they haven't moved.

Most of my family go straight to one of the streaming platforms to watch anything and avoid live TV most of the time. Showing stuff that people want to watch in real time (sport, plus shows with voting like strictly) is a good use of programming - in fact that is the only thing that is worth having on live any more. My children have almost never watched live TV (they aren't sports fans).

Surely only watching live TV is like flying without a moving map...
By Rob P
lobstaboy wrote:It's true though, that when all we had was live TV ...

The whole nature of TV in our house has changed. It used to be scheduled programmes only, until along came the VCR and then the HDR. Now the latter gather dust and it's all carefully selected streamed programming, with a smattering of scheduled content - The Repair Shop mostly.

It got to the stage where I was considering dumping the Radio Times, the only printed magazine we now pay for (Apart from Iron Cross every second month). But RT has upped its game and now has a good section on streaming so will probably survive.

OK it's an extra £7.99/month for Prime, but there are other benefits.

So frankly I don't give a toss if 'scheduled' is all second rank sports

Rob P
Flying_john liked this
By Rob P
Colonel Panic wrote: ITVHub doesn't get a look-in.

Not a Tour de France fan then?

Rob P
By nickwilcock
The Sports Channel was about the only BSB channel I never watched! The 'Eurosport' channel could be viewed on early Sky analogue receivers, but was never transmitted on the Marco Polo BSB satellite.

Picture quality of The Movie Channel was very good, but went downhill after the BSB + Sky = BSkyB 'merger' in 1990....

I still have the Nokia receiver and squarial at the back of a cupboard, not that either are any use!
By Mike Tango
Rob P wrote:
It got to the stage where I was considering dumping the Radio Times, the only printed magazine we now pay for (Apart from Iron Cross every second month). But RT has upped its game and now has a good section on streaming so will probably survive.

Radio Times has just arrived on Readly, which I thoroughly recommend as good value if it has magazines on it that you’d otherwise buy.

If you’d like referral code that would benefit us both, just say :D

https://gb.readly.com/
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
lobstaboy wrote:I would urge @Rob L at least to try Freeview. It's free! And does have some gems like TalkingPictures TV.

Only if you live in a blessed area. Here in the South Wales valleys we only get the bare minimum of channels.

See here:

https://www.astra2sat.com/freeview/freeview-muxes-wales/

We only get PSB 1, 2 and 3 here, none of the COM channels.

You can get more on satellite of course but my satellite reception currently isn't working, I think maybe the LNB has failed.
By Rob L
lobstaboy wrote:...<snip>
I would urge @Rob L at least to try Freeview. It's free!

I do indeed have freeview (and watch it occasionally) but it's not much better than the so-called mainstream channels, to be honest.
By lobstaboy
Rob L wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:...<snip>
I would urge @Rob L at least to try Freeview. It's free!

I do indeed have freeview (and watch it occasionally) but it's not much better than the so-called mainstream channels, to be honest.

Well no, but I thought you were trying to escape the sport?
kanga liked this