For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've lost track of the regs nowadays. It used to be that generally you could replace like for like (e.g. replacement sockets, replace a section of damaged cable, etc) but couldn't extend a ring, nor do anything outside, or in the kitchen/bathroom?

Is that still the case?

For example, if I had a length of perishing grey T&E to a floodlight that a previous owner (possibly even the house builder) had tacked to a south facing wall .... am I allowed to replace it with hi-tuf? Or does the no outside work take precedence over the 'replace like for like'?

For example, if a fitted kitchen had sockets installed within the base units that need removing, am I allowed to remove them myself, or does the no kitchen work take precedence?

Or even better, is there a definitive position online somewhere?
rikur_ wrote:For example, if I had a length of perishing grey T&E to a floodlight that a previous owner (possibly even the house builder) had tacked to a south facing wall .... am I allowed to replace it with hi-tuf? Or does the no outside work take precedence over the 'replace like for like'?

Go for it - not notifiable.

For example, if a fitted kitchen had sockets installed within the base units that need removing, am I allowed to remove them myself, or does the no kitchen work take precedence?

Go for it - not notifiable.

Or even better, is there a definitive position online somewhere?

Yes, it's really simple - you can do anything that's not notifiable.

Try here:-

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.u ... s/england/
johnm, rikur_ liked this