For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Dear Mods. This is not politics, this is life and death

With just a couple of clicks you can invite your MP to attend a virtual meeting giving the counter arguments to the god-botherers on the subject of assisted dying

I doubt it will do a lot of good, but if you feel even half as passionate as I do about this topic, at least you will have registered your interest

I am certain Miss Truss (MP for the constituency I live in, but not 'my' MP) will ignore it and get an intern to send me a copy & paste response.

Give it a go, it can do no harm.

Opponents of law change have rallied since the introduction of Baroness Meacher’s Assisted Dying Bill in the House of Lords and there have been some wild accusations flying around about who does - and doesn’t - support assisted dying.

Again and again, anti-choice campaigners lean on out-dated generalisations about certain groups of people - particularly religious people and disabled people - to make their shaky case to maintain the status quo.

We’ve put together a broad panel, chaired by Karin Smyth MP, who are prepared to break the silence and show MPs that anti-choice campaigners do not speak for them.

Please invite your MP to this important meeting today.

Your MP needs to know that these arguments simply don’t hold water. Recent polling demonstrates that more than three quarters of both disabled people and people of faith support a change in the law on assisted dying.

Joining us on the 7th July for this event are a Rabbi, an Imam, a palliative care doctor and two high-profile members of the disability community. They will demonstrate to MPs that their own opinions, as supporters of law change, are not being heard in the public debate.

Rob P
JAFO, nallen, Mike Tango and 3 others liked this
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Let's be clear, the OP is pure politics.

Alternatively, you could remind your MP, or MSP, that there are escalating numbers of deaths over time in every jurisdiction where assisted suicide has been legalised and in almost all places the categories of those who qualify for assisted suicide or euthanasia have been expanded.

For example, in the Netherlands we see how laws which were supposed to be limited to mentally competent terminally ill adults, now allow the euthanasia of non-mentally competent adults; disabled children aged under 12 months; disabled adults; and even those with treatable psychiatric problems such as depression and anorexia.

Rather than resorting to the dangerous expedient of assisted suicide, we should focus our attention on ensuring that everyone has access to top-quality palliative care.
riverrock wrote:Let's be clear, the OP is pure politics.

That's an opinion you are entitled to.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAFO liked this
By TopCat

Alternatively, you could remind your MP, or MSP, that there are escalating numbers of deaths over time in every jurisdiction where assisted suicide has been legalised and in almost all places the categories of those who qualify for assisted suicide or euthanasia have been expanded.

You haven't shown that this is a bad thing. Of course numbers and indeed categories will expand somewhat, given that they started at zero, and building experience of the reality of this sort of thing takes time.

For example, in the Netherlands we see how laws which were supposed to be limited to mentally competent terminally ill adults, now allow the euthanasia of non-mentally competent adults; disabled children aged under 12 months; disabled adults; and even those with treatable psychiatric problems such as depression and anorexia.

Do you have citations for examples of these? You write this almost as if there's a growing tendency to bump off anyone inconvenient, but I suspect the reality isn't quite so cavalier.
By TopCat
Rob P wrote:

Let's be clear, the OP is nothing to do with politics and everything to do with compassion.

Whatever else it is as well, it is politics. Sorting out law that governs aspects of people's lives is inevitably politics.

It's just not party politics. It would be in the USA of course, but hopefully not here.
Rob P liked this
For the avoidance of doubt I edited my post in response to @riverrock because this really is too important to get the thread donked by descending into counterarguments.

If you think it is important to give those of us under sentence (I am one) a choice, then please tell your MP that we actually are capable of making up our own minds.

Rob P
TopCat, Paultheparaglider, Mike Tango and 3 others liked this
By riverrock
TopCat wrote:Do you have citations for examples of these? You write this almost as if there's a growing tendency to bump off anyone inconvenient, but I suspect the reality isn't quite so cavalier.

I took my words mainly from here, which has many other examples and citations https://www.dyingwell.co.uk/letter-to-t ... hancellor/

The OP hasn't cited his sources...

Assisted Suicide does put pressure on people to be bumped off.
Look at the immediate response from care homes and medics adding DNRs to people without consultation at the start of the pandemic. Once you open the box, its very hard to shut it again.
It's cheaper to assist someone who is suicidal to die than it is to treat them.
riverrock wrote:It's cheaper to assist someone who is suicidal to die than it is to treat them.

Loving the use of "suicidal"

Sources.

1) My own life and my prospective end which is virtually assured.

2) Sally McIntosh. Nurse, my ex-partner, believer. Left us in 2006 in a manner she would rather have not.

I have one more post to make then I'll leave a thread where someone else of undisclosed credentials wants to dictate to me how I should die.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
I wouldn’t call it politics. For some the only escape from intense suffering is the blessed release from such pain through a decision firmly made by the individual. However, for every route thus taken, there are thousands of seriously ill people desperate to live.
I always remind some, as always, that happiness is a state of the mind, not of the body.
tr7v8 liked this