For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Several round 500m round trips would rule a small car out for me.

Me too. My Jaguar diesel(s!) do over 40mpg and are comfortable for long distance driving. However they're not good for short journeys as, like most diesels, you'd end up coking up the DPF and EGR valves, and they're not as good on fuel around town as a small car.

It's one of the reasons I haven't sold my late father's petrol Yaris yet, it's good for short local journeys. But then my MR2 would be as well, as and when I get it back on the road! :D
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Several round 500m round trips would rule a small car out for me.

I'd happily go back to the 911 for 500 mile trips

There's small cars and there's small cars.

Rob P
Flyingfemme liked this
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
avtur3 wrote: The new car will be required for 500 mile round trips several times per year.

Several round 500m round trips would rule a small car out for me.

I understand your point but perhaps you need to consider that financial limitations may influence others more than yourself. Do I have to apologize for my financial limitations?
By Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:911 ≠ small car.

You can hardly call something just fourteen and a half feet long by less than six foot wide 'large'

Rob P
By Rob P
And just over four feet tall :lol:

Rob P
By ROG
We have two 2007 automatics
One is a nissan micra--done 46000 -better than i"d thought it would be--easy to drive and reasonably comfortable.. ---for the lady of the house.
The other is a MAZDA 3--I bought it as a temporary measure with 6000 on the clock when the merc went at 206000. It has proved fine for my requirements---now done 81000 miles- only thing replaced was fuel pump--the one by the tank. It"s 1600CC-so pretty nippy. Very reliable--still looks like new.
By Flyingfemme
My summer daily driver is a 1963 Sunbeam. It's very small compared to most new cars but has plenty of space inside. Had a "new" Mini Cooper for a while; pretty small overall but made quite a decent van or 2 seater. Small isn't really a good mission descriptor.......
By Rob P
Flyingfemme wrote:My summer daily driver is a 1963 Sunbeam.

Imp? Rapier? Alpine? Tiger?

Rob P
kanga liked this
By kanga
Not many of these or its stable still around, I guess :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAF_33

.. last of stable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_66 .. production ending in 1980

[.. with Continuously Variable Transmission; ie automatic without distinct gear ratio set:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variomatic ]
By Rob P
Don't those rather fail to meet the 'slush box required' criterion?

Rob P